We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How bad will Thanksgiving Day traffic be?

Laguna Hills...
1 post
Save Topic
How bad will Thanksgiving Day traffic be?

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip this Thanksgiving from Orange County to San Francisco. We were thinking of leaving mid-day on Thanksgiving and we were just curious what traffic will be like. Also, we are returning Sunday and leaving SF around 2:00, how long would that take to make it back down to OC. Any input would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!

Edited: 21 October 2013, 09:02
1. Re: How bad will Thanksgiving Day traffic be?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2013, 16:10
Edited: 21 October 2013, 16:10
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,620 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How bad will Thanksgiving Day traffic be?

There was one Thanksgiving when we drove home from San Francisco on the Sunday when it took 4 hrs. to get through Orange County alone! I'd expect lots of traffic from LA south!

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How bad will Thanksgiving Day traffic be?

We have done that ride but left around 5am on thanksgiving. Traffic will be real bad mid day and on sunday

santa rosa, ca
Level Contributor
668 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How bad will Thanksgiving Day traffic be?

Not sure about Thanksgiving Day but I know Sunday will be horrendous.....one year it took us 13 hours to get from Santa Rosa (one hour north of SF) to the San Fernando Valley in So Cal., which, normally, was a 7 hour drive, if not less. There were lines to get into gas stations, lines for the restrooms, lines to exit and enter the freeways.....it was traffic, traffic and more traffic. I'll never do THAT again!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,461 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How bad will Thanksgiving Day traffic be?

One Thanksgiving my brother sat for several hours in traffic in Orange County, coming from San Diego north to LA. Finally they gave up and turned around. Might have been a bad traffic accident, but was not as smooth sailing as they thought Thanksgiving morning.

For sure there will be traffic heading home in all directions on the Sunday.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,171 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How bad will Thanksgiving Day traffic be?

Thanksgiving Day, traffic is OK until about 9:30 a.m., after which it gets bad until about 4:00 p.m.

So leave either early morning or late in the day.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,422 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How bad will Thanksgiving Day traffic be?

Sunday is your problem. If you can come back Monday, life would much, much easier.

Leaving from Laguna Hills on Thanksgiving Day you'll get caught in the mid-day traffic heading over the hills and through the woods to grandma's house.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
78 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How bad will Thanksgiving Day traffic be?

you will hit no traffic on thanksgiving day. It is historically the slowest travel day of the year

9. Re: How bad will Thanksgiving Day traffic be?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2014, 04:18