We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for fun and sun.

El Dorado Hills...
2 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay for fun and sun.

I am planning a trip for myself and 4 girlfriends from the west coast. It seems as though the nicer restaurants are in East Hampton (where we're mostly likely to catch a glimpse of a celebrity) and the night spots are in Southampton. I am looking for a little sun/beach and shopping during the day with an option of dancing and more upscale dining in the evening. Where should I look to get the best of both worlds? We are only going to be there for 4 nights. (Thursday-Monday).

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,564 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for fun and sun.

I think you'd find you'd want to rent a car regardless of where you stay to be able to do it all. Beach and shopping aren't that close to each other. There aren't hotels/motels on the water in either village. With a car you have more flexibility on accommodation.

El Dorado Hills...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for fun and sun.

We will have a car. How does that change your response? I think we are looking to rent a place, not a hotel/motel.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay for fun and sun.

Why not look in Bridgehampton? That will put you somewhat between Southampton and East Hampton, plus nearby to Channing Daughters and Wolffer for afternoon wine tastings. :)

www.traceyg.travellerspoint.com

Edited: 11 July 2012, 22:46
NY
Level Contributor
796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay for fun and sun.

You should stay at the Sunsset beach hotel in Shelter Island. It has what you are looking for: Beautiful people, party scene, on the beach, occasional celebrity sighting.

You could also do the surf lodge in Montauk. Younger crowd. Not on the beach. Also cool scene.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay for fun and sun.

Surf Lodge is great - I'd second that recommendation (though you will still be about half an hour from EH and 40 mins from Southampton). And although I also love Sunset Beach for dinner & drinks, if you stay there, you will be "stuck" on Shelter Island for four nights, needing to take the car to the ferry every time you want to leave the island (and note that the last boat back over to SI is at 1:45am). And other than Sunset Beach, there's virtually nothing to do on Shelter Island (which is part of the appeal) ... There isn't much shopping and there are only a few good restaurants to speak of, and the beaches are not the same as the ocean beaches you'll find on the South Fork. That's just my two cents...

www.traceyg.travellerspoint.com

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,564 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay for fun and sun.

For 4 nights you won't find a rental. Most if not all the decent homes are rented for at least a week but mostly for a month or more, esp. in summer. When are you visiting? I agree with Tracey that neither Shelter Island nor Montauk are located where you probably want to be, but those hotel recos are certainly trendy spots.

I think East Hampton has more of what you want overall.

7. Re: Where to stay for fun and sun.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2013, 10:16