We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving in Montauk/The Hamptons

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
357 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Thanksgiving in Montauk/The Hamptons

Hello,

My sister and I are planning a Thanksgiving trip together, and are very interested in the Montauk/Hamptons area. She has never been and would very much like to visit, and I have only been there during the summer. My question is: are most of the shops and restaurants open Thanksgiving and during the off-season? Or do most shut down at this time of year. I know there is a significant amount of year-round residents, and we are hoping that a lot of businesses are "business as usual". If anyone could provide any feedback, we'd greatly appreciate it! Also, she is interested and staying at the Montauk Yacht Club, and we'd love some thoughts on that as well. Thanks for any assistance!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,497 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanksgiving in Montauk/The Hamptons

I know more about the Hamptons than Montauk. Most of the shops in the Hamptons that stay open all year are open at that time but may be closed just on T'giving day. That weekend they will do a lot of business. I don't know what percentage of stores in Montauk stay open for the year.

The Montauk Yacht Club is pretty removed from the rest of Montauk and would not be where I'd opt to stay out of season. It doesn't get great reviews (I haven't stayed there in years but have had lunch there about year ago).

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g48194-d93313-R…

You'll be in the car driving for every meal unless you want to eat at the hotel all the time (not great food).

http://goo.gl/maps/FJfKO

I would take advantage of the charming New England small town feeling of East Hampton or Southampton at that time of year when prices are not quite as crazy as the summer. If you really want to stay in Montauk, I'd at least pick a place that's closer to town.

2. Re: Thanksgiving in Montauk/The Hamptons

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2013, 10:17