We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay? And travel to JFK

Singapore
Level Contributor
555 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay? And travel to JFK

We will be in nyc for 7 days and intend to go o Long Island for another 6 days.

I have posted this query on the NYC forum and the experts have been very helpful. I thought i shall post my query about Long Island here as well. We are coming in December for 14 days.

I was thinking of staying in greenport but was wondering about these queries

- we are coming from NYC on a Sunday. I read that there's a railway that travels there. Can we take it to greenport, if that's where we are staying?

- we plan to drive around. Can we rent a car in greenport?

- if greenport is not recommended where else can we stay? We plan to drive to wineries, go to the freezing beaches, drive to the hamptons,

- we have to fly off from JFK airport on the 22 dec sat at 1040am. I read that it takes 2 hrs to drive to JFK and plus another 2 hrs for the check in. That means I have to be at JFK at 6?!?! :)

We are thinking of the best plan now as I have yet to book hotels. But December is fast approaching and I am slowly panicking!! :)

I have just researched about the morning glory inn and it looks gorgeous but not cheap. :)

Thank you for the advice.

Freeport, New York
Destination Expert
for Long Island
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay? And travel to JFK

I don't have advice about where to stay or what to see on the eastern end of Long Island in December, but if you are going to attempt to drive to JFK from either Greenport or the Hamptons area the morning of a morning international flight in December is not a good idea.

It will take hours to drive to JFK from eastern Long Island. Also, if there is a storm, or an accident, or construction, it will take even longer. A better plan would be to stay in a JFK airport the night before your flight.

Best of luck.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,976 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay? And travel to JFK

Agree with coming back the night before and staying at an airport hotel. Assuming you can rent a car in Greenport, you can take the Long Island Rail Road there from New York Penn Station. For your return you'd get off in Jamaica and take the AirTrain monorail to the airport. Most airport hotels pick up at the Federal Circle AirTrain stop rather than at the terminals, but you'd want to confirm this with the hotel.

Here's the URL for the current LIRR timetable to and from Greenport. It doesn't extend to your travel dates but it's a pretty good guide for what the schedule will be when you're traveling.

mta.info/lirr/…RonkonkomaKO4.pdf

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,213 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay? And travel to JFK

I think the simplest thing would be to rent the car in NYC, drive to LI, do you thing, drive back to a hotel near JFK and stay there the night before your departure. If you get a hotel with an airport shuttle, you could drop your car off that night and take a shuttle back to your hotel. That way you don't have to factor car rental return time into your early morning rush.

You may be able to rent the car elsewhere in NYC that will let you drop off at JFK for a minimal (or no) fee. I'm not sure. If need be, you could travel out to JFK to pick up the car.

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay? And travel to JFK

Take the air train to JFK, rent the car there and then drive out to LI. Consider Montauk too as a nice place to stay.

Singapore
Level Contributor
555 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay? And travel to JFK

Thank you for your advice!

Alternatively is there anywhere else that would be a good side trip for about 4 days instead of Long Island?

Was thinking of maybe a side trip to Niagara Falls but it will be freezing.

Or we could do Long Island first from JFK airport then do NYC after. Would that make a difference?

From JFK how can I go to say, port Jefferson? That seems more central than greenport.

Thank you.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,766 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay? And travel to JFK

I'll weigh in with some differing opinions. Your return flight as I understand is on a Saturday. Traffic early morning on a Sat. from either the North Fork or the Hamptons to JFK should not be bad at all very early. The airlines usually ask you arrive 3 hrs. before the flight so that would mean getting there at 7:30 am so you would have to leave ~ 5 am. If you were to drive your own rental car, I agree it's not a good idea to return the same morning since it takes time to return the car and then get from the car rental locations to the terminals. But there are private car services that would drive you to JFK for $150-200 and if you were to stay in the Hamptons, there happen to be 2 early morning Jitneys that would get you to the airport in time for your flight.

I don't know whether there are car rental places right in Greenport. Doing a Google search, there's a place called People's Choice but I know nothing about it. But any hotel or b & b you select should be able to answer that question. There are car rental places in Southampton and East Hampton. Enterprise has a location in both towns, also in Southampton is Avis and Hertz. There's nothing wrong with leaving the night before and staying at JFK if you're not early morning people. It's just that the JFK hotels are not that nice and once you're there, there's no place to go. But if you do decide to rent a car to get to and from the east end, you definitely need to return to JFK the night before.

As to another stopping place, at that time of year, nothing really makes a lot of sense with Long island. But what you might want to consider if you don't want to stay longer in NYC is to stay a few nights in Greenport and a few nights in the Hamptons.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,766 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay? And travel to JFK

PS staying in Port Jefferson to see the North Fork or the Hamptons is not practical. Being "central" on Long Island is not a good thing when what you want to do is all the way at the east end. I told you initially on the NYC forum that going to the Hamptons first might be a nice way to start the trip after the long journey here. I also gave you some other reasons for doing it that way if you go back and read your earlier posts.

But it sounds like you've already made the decision to do NYC first and have booked a hotel in NYC for that time. What would change if you did Long Island first is you wouldn't be leaving from the east end of LI before your flight home. NYC is much closer to JFK.

I don't see any benefit to stopping in Port Jefferson, regardless of whether you do LI first or last UNLESS you plan on driving yourselves. If you were to rent a car from JFK when you first arrive and wanted to drive yourselves to Long Island, then yes, driving to Port Jefferson for a night, staying there and then continuing on the next day could make sense. Danford's is the main hotel there and has rooms with 2 double beds. For the night of Dec. 9 it would be $229/night.

I think it would be good for you to start getting used to using google maps. All you have to do usually is type in the name of a place, not even the address. For example

maps.google.com

type in

JFK to Danford's hotel Port Jefferson, NY

and you'll get a driving map. You can then click 'add a destination and add

Greenport, NY or a specific place in Greenport. You'll see the distance and estimated time to drive.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,766 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay? And travel to JFK

PPS I now notice that you've posted this on the Hamptons forum and a lot of the questions you have are on Greenport. I suggest you repost any remaining questions you have specific to Greenport on that forum as there are people there that may have better information than we have that might not look at the Hamptons forum. ;) Specifically, poster Stirlinghouse is very knowledgeable about Greenport and would know about car rentals there and might also have info on rooms for 3.

Lastly, I had a look at the Morning Glory and it does look beautiful but the only room I see for 3 of you would have one of you on a sofabed. Looks like more of a romantic place to me. :)

9. Re: Where to stay? And travel to JFK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2013, 10:15