We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family trip next June

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Family trip next June

Hi, my brother-in-law is getting married next June in NYC so we're thinking of turning the trip into a 10 day- 2 week holiday by having a week in NYC and 5-7 days in The Hamptons. It will be myself and my husband, our 3 sons all under 10 and my mother and father in law. We'd like beach, nice places to eat and to experience what The Hamptons is all about... and ideally 2-2.5hrs (ish) from JFK. Any thoughts on best area and hotels or house rentals? All help much appreciated.

Only other thing is we would be travelling on 24th May or 26th May. The 26th is Memorial Day so not sure if ths is going too crest issues (hotel costs, traffic to Hamptons etc?)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,873 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family trip next June

You cant move the Hamptons and I'm afraid around Memorial Day weekend the Hamptons are more like 3 hrs and perhaps more from JFK. Budget will be your biggest issue for a family that large. The Hampton Maid in Hampton Bays is one idea. Most house rentals are for longer periods than a week. If budget is unlimited, East Hampton Point and a few other inns may have a 2 bedroom cottage to rent.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family trip next June

Thanks for your reply. Will give it some more thought.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,873 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family trip next June

If you travel out to Long Island ON May 26, all the traffic will be going in the other direction and I think you'd be fine. Honestly the decision involves budget and the kind of accommodation you want. You might be able to find a house rental for Mon-Fri. if that's something you'd consider. To avoid the hassle of driving out you could take a bus (hamptonjitney.com) or the Long Island Railroad to get out there and then rent a car once you get there. Enterprise, Hertz and Avis all have locations in the Hamptons.

Bottom line, I didn't mean to put you off, only to say that accommodation isn't cheap for a family of 7 and rentals tend to be for longer than a week. But I notice there are some weekly rentals listed on

vrbo.com

esp. in Hampton Bays. The "heart" of the Hamptons is from Southampton to Amagansett but when you add Hampton Bays and Montauk, you increase your options.

4. Re: Family trip next June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2014, 06:21