We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hamptons post-Labor Day Weekend Trip

New York City, New...
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hamptons post-Labor Day Weekend Trip

Hi guys!

My girlfriend and I are looking to book a short getaway (Fri-Sun) somewhere in the Hamptons from Sept 13-15. A couple questions that require your expertise:

1) I've heard Southampton is quite popular nowadays for people our age (mid 20s). How do B&B prices fare here, or any other recommended area with lots of day time activities (no clue, East Hampton? Montauk?), and how do they compare post-Labor Day? Do they get any cheaper? We use services like AirBNB a lot - so was thinking of using that as my main resource.

2) I guess it depends on which town we go, but do you recommend renting a car for the short weekend, or taking the LIRR/Jitney out there?

Would appreciate any feedback to help kick off my research!

Thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hamptons post-Labor Day Weekend Trip

If you want to get to the beach or any town other than the one you're staying in, yes you need to rent a car. It's very difficult to get around out there without one. There are some local buses but they don't run often, and you could end up spending a lot on cabs. Otherwise, you are limited to accommodation in close proximity to each town/village so that you can walk to shops and restaurants.

New York City, New...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hamptons post-Labor Day Weekend Trip

Thanks, kateoz! Good point. Let's say I didn't rent a car. Do you recommend a town that includes a beach close in proximity and has most activities within the town?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hamptons post-Labor Day Weekend Trip

I don't really consider any of the beaches and towns to be in close proximity. Not really walking distance. You could ride a bike relatively quickly. Montauk beach and town would be walking distance, perhaps.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,939 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hamptons post-Labor Day Weekend Trip

East Hampton village is probably closest to the beach but the inns that are closest are pricey (Hedges Inn, Maidstone, 1770 House). Any of the villages will be fine once you find an affordable place to stay. While you would think that prices plummet post Labor Day, it's not the reality and the weekend you're visiting is the Jewish Holiday and many people have off or plan to come out here to celebrate it. I have no knowledge of who uses airbnb in the Hamptons but it's not a site I would recommend and I don't think you'll find anything decent in a rental for just a weekend.

You can check

vrbo.com

but I don't know you'll find much for a weekend.

I have a few friends who rent out guest houses and rooms. If you're interested in info, PM me with budget.

You will have a better time in the Hamptons with a car. It's up to you whether you rent from the city and drive out or use public transport to get there and just rent locally. Renting and driving yourself will be cheaper but not necessarily easier.

Don't know what day time activities you want but sports (kayaking, tennis, golf etc.) or shopping, wine tasting are typical options. If you have a car, it almost doesn't matter where you stay . The villages (apart from Montauk) are pretty close together.

New York City, New...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hamptons post-Labor Day Weekend Trip

Ok - sounds like a car just makes sense - so we'll look into that.

nywhiz - PM'd! We're on a budget and probably won't see much relief that weekend in terms of prices, but any help would be really appreciated!

Southampton, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hamptons post-Labor Day Weekend Trip

Hi!

Southampton is definitely popular for people your age. There are a lot of things to do out here, but the time you're coming is going to be busy! Get to where you want to go early to avoid some crowds. Definitely rent a car!! Jitney is expensive and a car gives you much more freedom. As far as b&b's everything out here is pricy but my favorite place is the hampton maid in hampton bays. AWESOME breakfast and really nice rooms. I recommend for activities going to Montauk for a day and visiting the lighthouse.

Sorry for the kind of late reply.

Have fun!

7. Re: Hamptons post-Labor Day Weekend Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2014, 06:39