We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dog friendly NY Eve: Ft Myers- Punta Gorda area

Boca Raton FL
Level Contributor
262 posts
127 reviews
Dog friendly NY Eve: Ft Myers- Punta Gorda area

We are taking our gentle 40 lb Katrina orphan pup with us exploring the west coast from Ft Myers to maybe as far north as Crystal River.

We arrive in Ft Myers NY Eve,

I know La Quinta Hotels are all pet friendly, but finding a place to eat that evening may be a challenge.

Do you know of any pet friendly restaurants (not big chains nor fast food) that we can sit outside on a porch- hopefully with a nice view- not just a parking lot/strip mall??

We've heard Ft Myer's River District has a Ball Countdown;

has anyone seen dogs there?

Is the drop only at midnight, or is is family friendly where they do an early fireworks/ball drop at 9-10pm for those of us wimps who won't stay up till midnight?

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
50,080 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: Dog friendly NY Eve: Ft Myers- Punta Gorda area

has your rescue pup had a fireworks experience before? My dog does not like them, no matter how often I try to give him experience in a safe home environment.

Of all nights of the year, this might be one to leave him at home in the room. and check the pet conditions as some places require Crating your dog when you are away from the room.

Also look into pet friendly beaches. Ft myers has one or two but no others nearby.

Boca Raton FL
Level Contributor
262 posts
127 reviews
2. Re: Dog friendly NY Eve: Ft Myers- Punta Gorda area

sorry for the delay in my reply- up north with family...

Yes,. she has...and has no problem with fireworks nor loud noises (and is not deaf either!); the only thing she is afraid of is water.

She went through Hurricane Wilma with us safely shut into our house- and non-stop lightening didn't bother her at all. We went to a First Night celebration in Charleston last year. We had no idea the fireworks would be set off right in the same small park we were in. She hardly looked up, even at the first bang.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
50,080 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: Dog friendly NY Eve: Ft Myers- Punta Gorda area

Your best bet is to find a tiki bar at a marina somewhere nearby that is open for the festivities. They are the most likely to allow dogs.

Boca Raton FL
Level Contributor
262 posts
127 reviews
4. Re: Dog friendly NY Eve: Ft Myers- Punta Gorda area

Thanks

We found: Sandy Butler Restaurant and a few others with outdoor dining, just a metter of finding one that has a table available tonight since we do not get there till early evening and no one is accepting reservations tonight.

Also: we always stay at La Quinta Hotels- they all are very dog friendly- no weight limit (our pup is only 40 lbs, but while many hotels say they accept dogs, they limit them to teach cup size- or as I call them : "accessories" :) ).

La Quintas also do not charge a fee- and are all clean and nicely appointed.

We never leave our dog in the room -except to run to the lobby to pick up breakfast to bring it back up.

5. Re: Dog friendly NY Eve: Ft Myers- Punta Gorda area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2010, 05:15