We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laid back areas required for the over 60's

berkshire
Level Contributor
18 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Laid back areas required for the over 60's

Any suggestions for towns, beaches etc that would be fairly low key, but have good accommadation, restaurants, bars and shops. Somewhere not too commercialized.

Thank you

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,217 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Laid back areas required for the over 60's

Car or no car? Hotel or rental? No of days/weeks? Time of year? Budget per week/month?

I will tell you that car and rentals are the best option for price, location, and availability.

If you want just a week, I might send you a different place than a month. If you want April, I might send you a diff place than January. I am very experienced int his sort fo rental but don't want to send you to the wrong area.

If you have a car and don't mind driving but want to walk out to dinner this will have huge effect.

There is a place for most everyone but there are wishes and dreams that won't fit with a week in Feb that will fit for a fortnight in may.

berkshire
Level Contributor
18 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Laid back areas required for the over 60's

My wife and i are proposing to visit Florida in May next year for upto 14 days. We will hire a car for the duration and use either hotel or bed and breakfast accommadation.

We would consider staying in two areas but would not want masses of high rise buildings everywhere. We are quite fit and we like walking. I understand that May is a good month weatherwise. We have budgets, like anyone else especially as we are now retired, but wouldn't want to compromise a 'trip of a lifetime'.

We appreciate your comments.

Thank you.

Steve Williams.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,217 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Laid back areas required for the over 60's

Well, you may find rentals (ie one bedroom condos) will work closer to your budget than hotels and b&bs. As the low rise, low key natural beaches such as Anna Maria Island are short on hotels but have lots of condos to rent. But have a look at Harrington house B&B there.

Sanibel and Captiva are also great areas for you, and Sanibel does have a Holiday inn hotel.

Siesta Key is also right up your street, as would be Gasparilla island and perhaps Venice, but mostly rentals. Many rentals have a 7 night min, but in may you will find some that do shorter stays. May is no longer peak season and ti will be hotting up then.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Captiva Island
Captiva Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Venice
Venice
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Laid back areas required for the over 60's

Good ideas from amanx above. I love this area and Venice is my pick. Easy to travel (with a car) from there to the other place. A day trips to St Pete's to the north or Naples to the south are also easy. It's a low rise town with interesting boutiques and more restaurants than I've had the chance to try yet. And it has lovely beaches and lots of places to walk. Your best bet is to rent a villa or condo.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
berkshire
Level Contributor
18 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Laid back areas required for the over 60's

Thank you 'amanx' and 'Cheshirecat'. You have given us some great ideas.

Thank you again.

Steve Williams.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,217 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Laid back areas required for the over 60's

If you decide on an area/island, go to that local forum ;-)

7. Re: Laid back areas required for the over 60's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 12:18