We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Trip w/a 10mo old: Naples, Sanibel, Ft Myers or Marco

Roxbury, New Jersey
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
Family Trip w/a 10mo old: Naples, Sanibel, Ft Myers or Marco

My husband and I are looking to take our 1st family trip with our baby this summer. She'll be 10 months old when we are looking to travel. I'm really torn and the Florida www are not very helpful. THey all pretty much say the same thing. Looking for suggestion on what would be a great place for a family trip with a 10 month old. Here's what we are looking for~

Great Beach, Nice quality hotels close to the beach, casual/kid friendly restaurants, somewhat of a night life such as a nice downtown where we can put the baby in the stroller and walk around maybe stop for a drink, shopping, nearby entertainment for a child.

I know..I'm asking for a lot. Just trying to get a general idea where i should focus my research on between Naples, Sanibel, Ft Myers & Marco Island. I'm so torn!

Also - is it recommended to rent a car? or is everything pretty much in walking distance? Thanks in advance for your input!

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Trip w/a 10mo old: Naples, Sanibel, Ft Myers or Marco

Marco Island is a beautiful, family friendly island with lots to offer - but no downtown area like you describe.

For a downtown area with walking to shopping, restaurants I would suggest Naples. If you stay right in the downtown / 5th Avenue area, you would not need a car.

Pompano Beach...
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Trip w/a 10mo old: Naples, Sanibel, Ft Myers or Marco

Ft Myers beach has all of your requirements.

Check out the Pink Shell, very kiddie friendly and walking distance to Times Square for restaurants, ice cream and shops and a stroll on the peir. You will be able to walk with the stroller everywhere, even to sit outside for dinner.

The Pink Shell is directly on the beach, has shady areas to sit with the stroller, they have eff apts and condos, beautiful kiddie pool you will be able to sit and have lunch by the pool with the baby.

www.pinkshell.com

Berwick, Maine
Level Contributor
140 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Trip w/a 10mo old: Naples, Sanibel, Ft Myers or Marco

Hi Lisa- i also posted on your Marco Island post.

I think Ft Myers Beach or Marco will suit your needs if you want a downtown area to walk.

Plenty on Ft Myers Beach- but the night life can go late and get loud sometimes on the hotel beaches.

Marco is great to walk around all over the south end. You can also do the Esplanade for drinks, shops, etc.

Captiva and Sanibel will close down completely after sunset. Gorgeous Islands and we love them for a relaxing vacation, but if you want "Stuff to do" they are not for you.

Just my opinion.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Trip w/a 10mo old: Naples, Sanibel, Ft Myers or Marco

San - Cap don't actually completely close down after sunset - there are quite a few places to go for an evening out. It is more of a family friendly/local island, that is primarily a nature preserve, so there are just fewer bars, and really no beach front night life. There is plenty to do, just not your usual touristy stuff.

That all said, I wouldn't recommend Sanibel or Captiva for you. It's a great place to visit, my kids absolutely love it and have been going their entire lives. It doesn't sound like it is what you're looking for this trip. We use to really love Naples, before we fell in love with Sanibel. There are plenty of beach front hotels and resorts - some are walking distance to Fifth Ave and Third St for shopping and restaurants.

5. Re: Family Trip w/a 10mo old: Naples, Sanibel, Ft Myers or Marco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2013, 10:31