We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help. Looking for suggestions for 2 nights stay

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help. Looking for suggestions for 2 nights stay

Hi everyone!

We (4 x mid/late 20's) are looking for 2 different places to stay between Tampa and Golden gate, 1 night each, the first no more than 2 hours drive from Orlando, and the second further down the coast. (for nights the 12th & 13th Nov)

We would like to be on / near the beach and spend our days relaxing, enjoying the beach & snorkelling and hopefully seeing some wildlife (maybe manatees?). It would also be nice to have a bar or two within walking distance.

I know this is really vague, we will have travelled up from the keys, where we are attending a wedding, via Universal Studios, so looking forward to these 2 days being relaxing (and fairly cheap)

We thought maybe Apollo Beach then Port Charlotte? But only because the distances seemed about right. Also any ideas of things to do on these 2 days that we might have missed would be awesome.

Any suggestions greatly recieved!

Thanks x

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help. Looking for suggestions for 2 nights stay

Apollo Beach and Port Charlotte are not on the beach. For those general areas try Manasota Key or Venice Beach, then farther north Anna Maria Island, siesta Key, or St. Pete Beach.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help. Looking for suggestions for 2 nights stay

Depending on where you are in Orlando, it can take 60 minutes just to reach Tampa on a GOOD day. With traffic, far longer. And at that [point, you're a long way from the beach.

Nearest quiet beach place would be Anna Maria. Not in miles, but because getting thru Tampa St Pete is a traffic nightmare to reach many spots. Off I-75, follow the signs to I-275 and the Skyway bridge. The toll is cheap and there are two long warfs at either end where you can park and see Tampa Bay. It's worth it. So is the view from the bridge.

Just over the bridge, take the first exit for Skyway and go over another small bay,past Skyway Memorial Gardens and start looking for Rt 41 & 45 (Tamiami Trail). Take that south to 64 west to Anna Maria. It should take about 2 hours to the beach.

To continue south the next day, take 64 all the way east to I-75 south

I would suggest you consider Boca Grande or Sanibel/Ft Myers Beach for a second stop, or rather than waste a lot of time driving east and west, just spend 2 nights on Anna Maria or Siesta Key. The hardest, most frustrating parts of these drives, and the most time consuming, is getting from I-75 to the beaches. It takes about 45 minutes. Keep that in mind.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,094 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help. Looking for suggestions for 2 nights stay

1 hour 45/2 hours from orlando is St pete beach ( I prefer Anna Maria but that is another 15 or so). St P might be better (along with Clearwater beach) for you at your age group if you want a 'happening' place. But happening diesn't quate with nature so you'll be more likely to see interesting wildlife in AMI and other quiet places.

For your age group i'd rec Fort myers beach for your secoind nigth, but water isn't good or snorkeling there- best is key largo, Marathon and key west.

As said (and I said on one of your other posts), neither Apollo beach or port charlotte have or are near beaches.

All gulf coast beaches are on barrier islands so you have to go the the places furthest west on any map. Look at satellite view, as sand is white and there won't be any those places (along with Cape Cora, Dunedin and Pine island)

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help. Looking for suggestions for 2 nights stay

Thanks everyone for your help! I don't know what I'd do without you all. I think we will probably do 1 night in Anna Maria Island or St Pete's beach, then the second night maybe Sanibel or Ft Myers. (depending on how much beach relaxing vs party we fancy)

Can anyone reccommend a good & cheap motel or B&B in these places? Preferably on the beach!

Thanks again guys!!

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help. Looking for suggestions for 2 nights stay

For Anna Maria Island, look at Queen's Gate, Tortuga, Tropic Isle. there are others who will take a night or two reservations. All of the above are across the street from the beach, but it is a slow, 2 lane road, not a major highway.

Edited: 11 August 2012, 22:59
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help. Looking for suggestions for 2 nights stay

Thanks Kris48, those places look pretty special! They might be slightly out of our budget, but they look dreamy! I don't think I could bring myself to leave after only 1 night. I'll have to speak to my travelling companions and see but maybe we could make room for 2 nights there instead of all the travelling. Cheers again!

Englewood, Florida...
Level Contributor
15 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary help. Looking for suggestions for 2 nights stay

For your Ft. Myers/Sanibel leg of the journey I like La Quinta right at the entrance to Sanibel Causeway. The hotel is located 10 minutes from Ft. Myers Beach & 10 minutes from Sanibel. It's rooms are super-clean with excellent beds. The rates are very resonable.

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary help. Looking for suggestions for 2 nights stay

No, come onto the Beach. Edison, Pierview and Beacon Bed & Breakfast are on the Beach. Just across the street is Holiday Court Villas, Matanzas Inn, Lighthouse and Silver Sands. All walking distance to Time Square, the Pier and many Restaurants and Bars, lots of souvenir shops.

Edited: 22 August 2012, 23:51
9. Re: Itinerary help. Looking for suggestions for 2 nights stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2013, 07:16