We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Key Largo to Orlando - Off the Beaten Track Suggestions

ontario
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
From Key Largo to Orlando - Off the Beaten Track Suggestions

We have 2 days to drive from Key Largo to Orlando in January and I'm looking for suggestions of off the beaten track things to see and do on the way with 2 boys (9 & 12.) We have done the theme parks and The Kennedy Space Center, but I was considering taking the long way and stopping at Venice Beach on the gulf coast to look for sharks teeth. Any other suggestions?

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
606 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Key Largo to Orlando - Off the Beaten Track Suggestions

Shark Valley in Everglades National Park, Skunk Ape Museum, or take a fossil searching boat tour on the Peace River.

For shark teeth, I think there are some better locations like Manasota Key (maybe?) where you're more likely to find them these days. Search the Venice forums for more specifics.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,622 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Key Largo to Orlando - Off the Beaten Track Suggestions

I find more teeth on Manasota key than Venice these days.

Does this mean 2 days and 2 nights? Or just 2 days one night? Gulf coast (spectacular) isn't on your way, so might be better to spend a day extra in the keys and do the evergladesw/shark valley on your drive up to Orlando as a day trip. 2 nigths could make it more doable.

The drive isn't more than about 5 hours w/o stops using the turnpike.

ontario
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: From Key Largo to Orlando - Off the Beaten Track Suggestions

Thanks for the replies. We haven't booked hotels yet, so we still have some flexibility and I'm open to more suggestions. Any thoughts of interesting places to explore off the turnpike?

4. Re: From Key Largo to Orlando - Off the Beaten Track Suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 18:17