I am due in december and will have 3 year old as well. Because my husband works from home (and is therefore mobile), I'm planning a ~3 week trip to the south florida gulf during February as a maternity leave escape. I really need to some advice regarding where to stay.
What we are looking for is probably different than most posters, given the newborn traveling with us, but here is my "wish list":
1. Rent a home (not a condo or apartment)- my husband works from home and we just need the room
2. Outdoor place to play- either a yard or a walkable park
3. within 20 minute drive to the beach. Although being walkable to the beach would be ideal, I would rank this as a lower priority to get the other things. And I know we can meet our other requriements being directly on the beach!
4. Access to fun things for a 3 year old to do, i.e. aquarium, children's museum. I would say with 45 minutes would be okay. I just know I'm going to need more than the beach and pool to keep him happy for 3 weeks and don't to be isolated out on a key where it will take 45 minutes just to get back to the mainland!
5. In the ideal world, there would be stuff to walk to (restaurants, etc) but I'm not sure how much we would use that with a newborn anyway!
6. Not crazy expensive (we will be on a new baby budget).
So that is my wishlist! I appreciate any advice people have. I'm struggling a bit to find the right balance...