We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help narrowing down our plans

Coopersburg...
Level Contributor
94 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Need help narrowing down our plans

My two adult daughters and I are interested in renting a condo on the Gulf Coast of Florida in Summer, 2014. We are avid "shell shoppers" so I naturally thought of Marco Island or Sanibel. We like beach front accommodations, do we have this option in either place? Our "housing" budget is $1,000 - $1,200 for the week (need a 2-bdrm) - is this doable in these communities? We don't need much entertainment as we love to soak up rays and gather shells. We also enjoy going out for dinner at least 3-4 times during our week's vacation. Should we consider another area? We stayed in Indian Rocks Beach this past summer and it was wonderful. I hope to visit another area next summer. Thanks for your assistance. P.S. As I write this message, it is snowing like crazy in Eastern Pennsylvania so I am dreaming of sand, sun and palm trees....

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,591 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help narrowing down our plans

Sanibel is where I would choose, and it might be possible within your budget just- if you choose your week carefully. For instance, First week of june should be cheaper than July/August whent he kids are out of school, and late Aug early Sept truly is low season.

Basically, high season in SW FL is Jan-april.

Head on over to the Sanibel forum for help finding a unit in your price range.

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,294 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help narrowing down our plans

Whether you choose Marco or Sanibel all depends on what you like in a vacation. They are very different, in my opinion. Below are some of the differences (they are truthful answers as I see them, but I will tell you that I like Marco much better, so I am sure someone else might have a little different perspective).

1). Sanibel has a $6 toll bridge, Marco doesn't.

2). Sanibel has vegetation covering the island and it is difficult to get a water view when driving around the island, you frequently get glimpses and wide expanses of water views on Marco.

3). Both are small islands that have a laid back feel, but Marco is MORE of a city, while Sanibel has a smaller feel and more mom & pop type businesses

4). We had trouble finding a public beach while on Sanibel, there are two on Marco that are fairly easy to find.

5). Both are bikeable towns, but Sanibel is more bike friendly.

If you do choose Marco, you should be able to find a condo on the beach that is within your price range. There are VERY few houses on the beach and they are in a restricted neighborhood that not many of us could afford (myself included), haha!! Hope this helps!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,591 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help narrowing down our plans

I agree that perceptions and answers change depending on who is answering. For instance I actually like Marco island, but prefer Sanibel for shelling (and I tend to like low rose low key places).

The $6 toll is a pain in the proverbial, but is only one way so $3 each way. Which you can more than make up by stopping at a shop or two once over.

Sanibel does have a lot of vegetation and wildlife, which is what many people love. No you can't drive along the ocean and see it like A1A on the east coast, but I can't see it very well in Marco either with the high rises in many places. Glimpses are OK but not enough for me. No hiouses means high rise condos really.

I have no problem finding beaches like Bowmans on Sanibel, but have a hard time finding parking for beaches on Marco.

Both Islands are really great, it just depends on what you would like (ie high rise or low rise).

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,294 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help narrowing down our plans

Obviously, you have picked two of the best locations for what YOU are looking for. Just as amanx disagrees with some of the views I have, I also disagree with some of her perspective. As with anything in life, we will just have to agree to disagree. So, where does that leave you? I would go online and search Marco and Sanibel images and see which appeals to you more. Also, search VRBO and vacationrentals.com and to see which place can offer you the best rental rates. Good luck making the decision!:)

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,591 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help narrowing down our plans

I agree if budget it tight, that could be a deciding factor.

Go to each local forum and ask questions?

Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help narrowing down our plans

You will be able to go to Marco in a two bedroom for that price in the summer. And, the shelling on Marco can be fantastic depending on what the tides are doing and if there has been any storm activity. However, this analysis is the same for any location you would choose.

I like both Sanibel and Marco, but prefer Marco. There is an unspoiled area on Marco which is great for shelling and birding -- North of Tigertail beach area. Hardly anyone ventures that far on the island. The Marco beach is LONG and WIDE. I find this attractive for a number of reasons. Most important for me is that you can walk the long beach for over 4 miles. The beach is also wide. So, you can turn your back on the beachfront lodging choices and actually forget they are there. Because of the long and wide nature of the beach, Marco has become a favorite place for us. The sunsets are breathtaking. There is bike riding on the island and the Island Bike Shop provides wonderful bikes and they even deliver and pick up. The people on the island are friendly and I always feel safe there. It is hard to beat a Marco Island vacation.

7. Re: Need help narrowing down our plans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2014, 05:17