We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southwest Florida with 3 teenagers - thinking Captiva?

Michigan
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Southwest Florida with 3 teenagers - thinking Captiva?

Hello,

Planning a week in Southwest Florida in April with 3 teenagers - 2/15yo girls and 1/14yo boy. I have narrowed it down to Southwest Florida and I am really interested in Captiva Island, however, I am worried they might be bored after a couple of days. What areas do you suggest? Looking at renting a condo or house. Kids say they want to sit on a beach, but I don't know if they can actually sit on a beach for a week! One of them has never been to Florida either, mine have been quite a few times to Tampa / Orlando areas.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Captiva Island
Captiva Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southwest Florida with 3 teenagers - thinking Captiva?

what do they like to do when they're not on the beach? That's a much larger concern....

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,465 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southwest Florida with 3 teenagers - thinking Captiva?

Sanibel with bike rentals might give them more autonomy. AMI and the free trolley would too and they could get out to minigolf and shops.

But i do love captiva. Depends on your kids really. Stock up with plenty of food, rent kayaks etc, make sure you have good wifi, take them out on a boat.

Bring fishing rods?

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southwest Florida with 3 teenagers - thinking Captiva?

Captiva is definately not a minature golf/go cart type of place. But if water sports entertain them there's kayaking, fishing, parasailing, paddleboarding, etc... Nice thing is Captiva is walkable so they can wander off for Starbucks, or ice ceam, or pizza on foot. If interested in a house, Captiva allows weekly rentals, Sanibel only monthly.

Mentioned in this post
Captiva Island
Captiva Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
625 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Southwest Florida with 3 teenagers - thinking Captiva?

I suggest you nail something down quickly. It's pretty late for Spring Break rentals.....especially on Captiva.

5. Re: Southwest Florida with 3 teenagers - thinking Captiva?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2017, 05:16