We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outer Banks or Topsail Beach area?

USA
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Outer Banks or Topsail Beach area?

My family and I are planning a trip to the NC coast in early June. We have 4 generations in our group and will be renting a house. We are considering the Outer Banks or Topsail Beach areas (or any area within 1.5 hours of a major airport). We do not require a lot of entertainment outside the beach/rental, however, it would be nice to have a couple good restaurants within 10 minutes.

I've read that the Topsail Beach area is usually less crowded and may be warmer in early June. I'm curious if anyone would choose the Topsail Beach area over the Outer Banks? If so, why? Also, can you provide the name of a reputable rental company in the area?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outer Banks or Topsail Beach area?

Yes, it is less crowded. Even in the peak-times of summer, you may only have 15 or so people on the beach with you in your general area. Typically, the beach in front of your house is yours. Only exception is if your house is near a public beach access, and then you may have a few groups.

Yes, the water is warmer-south of Cape Hatteras you still get Gulf-Stream waters bathing the coast. Water is often very clear. I was in the ocean this past August and could see my feet in waist-deep water.

If you are not interested in mini-golf, gokarts, arcades, movie theaters, etc. and just want a nice spot to plop and enjoy family, then going to Topsail is a no-brainer. I have been going there for nearly forty years-my parents lived on the island in 1969-70.

We rented a house through A Beach Place Realty last summer and had no issues with them.

2. Re: Outer Banks or Topsail Beach area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2010, 07:23