We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Carolina Beaches

West Virginia
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
North Carolina Beaches

HI....looking for a "new" beach experience! Have stayed many times at Topsail Island, which we still love, but we are wanting to explore new areas. Last year we went to Nags Head, Ocracoke, Kitty Hawk, etc. Loved it, but want to explore further. This year it will just be my husband and me. We like to sit/stroll on the beach and of course swim in the ocean. I love beachcombing. We plan to stay in a motel instead of renting a house since it is just the two of us - we don't need that much space. We also enjoy shopping at local shops/crafts and eating at local restaurants. Considering Ocean Isle but are open to suggestions that might be a better "fit." We are not much on the "night scene" or chain beach stores. Definitely NOT the Myrtle Beach scene. ANY help, insight from the locals or any of you who have "been there, done that" would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Carolina Beaches

Bald Head Island might be just your cup of tea. Not cheap, but very private, no gas vehicles (you get there by ferry), and great beaches. http://www.baldheadisland.com/

I really like the South Brunswick beaches, so I think you'll like Ocean Isle just fine. You might also consider Sunset and Holden beaches--both are a little slower-paced than OI. Just depends on how much "action" you want. Not that there's much action in OI, but there's a little more to do there. I'd suggest staying at OI, and driving over to check out Holden and Sunset to see if you might want to stay at either in the future. Be sure to eat at Twin Lakes Seafood, on the left just before crossing the bridge into Sunset Beach.

Lewisville, North...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: North Carolina Beaches

oak Island is great too, alot of shops in Southport which is right there.......Ocean Isle is beautiful....not much to do and no shopping...

West Virginia
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Carolina Beaches

Thanks so much for your insight, arbyunc we will probably go with Ocean Isle. I would love the idea of no vehicle, but my husband would be claustrophobic and we will be certain to give Twin Lakes Seafood a try! Thanks again. :)

West Virginia
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North Carolina Beaches

roymel, perhaps Southport would be a good day trip for shopping? I will have to look at the map to check distances from OI.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. :)

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
290 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Carolina Beaches

You may want to consider the Ocean Isle Inn for you stay. I have stayed with them several times and love this hotel. Very Clean, great location, and the best staff.

West Virginia
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North Carolina Beaches

Thanks Sue! We actually do have reservations with them. They were very nice on the phone and the reviews were very favorable, but it's reassuring to have your input as well. Any favorite restaurants, shelling areas, or other "insider" tips you care to share? :)

New Martinsville...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: North Carolina Beaches

Staying at Carolina Beach at Atlantic Towers and are booked there for a wedding in Sept. The first review is terrible - they already have our deposit and I am somewhat worried when it mentions roaches and very dirty

8. Re: North Carolina Beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2012, 19:18