We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a motel with a fishing pier in September

Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Need a motel with a fishing pier in September

Trying to find hotel with a pier to take my elderly parents and grand kids to. My father is not in the best of health and I fear this will be his last trip to the beach. He loves to fish but has problems walking (war vet) so a pier directly behind a motel would be ideal. Would like to stay in the same room so a two or three bedroom would be needed....any suggestions? One more thing it needs to be somewhat cheap my wife just found out she will be without a job in a couple of month...Thanks

Level Contributor
1,302 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a motel with a fishing pier in September

First, you need to tell people what you want to spend so that they can help you find something. Second, generally speaking, two or three bedrooms will take you out of a motel and into a condo or house.

I am glad to kick off the ball here.

The first place I thought of was Oak Island--good value for your money. It is a laid-back kind of place. Southport is nearby and fun to visit.

Here is one example I found--and it is just an example! You might be able to find better deals on VRBO.

Thanks to your Dad for his service. I hope your wife finds another job soon.

Best of luck to you and your family.

Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a motel with a fishing pier in September

Thanks for the recomendation...looking at spending around 250 a night.

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
333 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a motel with a fishing pier in September

Take a look at Kure Beach. There is a nice pier with easy access for all ages and abilities. Should be no problem for your dad as you can let him off right at the pier while you park. Kure Beach has a number of hotels and also Carolina Beach which is just to the north. A short drive from both is Wilmington which will provide you all the options for a really nice vacation trip. If you follow the link it will give you a list of hotels and motels on Kure.

Have a great time!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
4 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need a motel with a fishing pier in September

I'd recommend Oak Island also.

i know of 2 motels that have piers or having fishing in close proximity:

Ocean Crest & Blue Point Marina & Motel.

(Ocean Crest is on the beach, Blue Point is on the intracoastal waterway.) I'm not sure about Blue Point but I know Ocean Crest has some larger efficiency rooms and a condo on their property in addition to standard motel rooms.

Oak Island is very family friendly with reasonable restaurants & diners.

Another option would be Southport (near Oak Island). There is a small motel (Riverside) located near the waterfront park (and fishing pier) on the river. There would be a short walk across a small parking lot & park to the pier. (could also drive him) I recommend this because when my father's health began to fail he & my mother stayed in this motel several times. Each room has a 'back door' with a sitting area overlooking the mouth of the river. My dad enjoyed watching the boats come in & out of Southport.

High Point, NC
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need a motel with a fishing pier in September

Jeanette's Pier in Nags Head is extremely family (and elderly) friendly. Very stable and just renovated and taken over the state of N.C. Opened this year. I highly recommend this as a last experience, as it is large, stable, has a storefront, and very nice facilities. A family experience you would not forget, considering the circumstances.

Hotels nearby? Any of the Nags Head. Owens motel is right there at the pier area, but I have not stayed there. They have a restaurant people say is good. I recently went, but stayed at Elizabethan Inn in Manteo (5-10 drive from pier). As with most of the area hotels, these are older, but well kept and inexpensive.

Edited: 02 August 2011, 19:20
Greenville, North...
Level Contributor
21 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need a motel with a fishing pier in September

I agreed on Jennette's Pier. The new pier at Nags Head NC is perfect for you. Jennette's Pier was opened by the State of NC and is great. There are shelters down the pier to escape the blazing sun. Hotels and beach cottages are nearby. A second choice is Surf City NC's motel and pier. A third choice is the Kure Beach NC Pier with the Admiral's Quarters motel near by . We stayed at Kure Beach's Admiral's Quarters 2010 Labor Day. In addition, the Kure Beach Pier has a great restaurant next door called the Old Pier House Restaurant. Kure Beach is a great value price wise. Best Wishes.

7. Re: Need a motel with a fishing pier in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 20:15