We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A question from a first time Brit!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
165 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
A question from a first time Brit!!

Hello

If any of you have a spare few minutes to answer this I'd be very grateful!

I may be in Philidelphia and could have the opportunity of extending my time for approx 10 days down to North Carolina.

I wanted to take my wife and 2 kids.

As the title says, I have never been before but for some reason have always wanted to visit....not sure why.....just had this feeling!

Anyway, my ticket from the UK will be in and out of PHL so I'd hire a car and drive down.

Basically myself and the kids like the beach/pool and unfortunately my wife "loves" shopping :-(

So if you could tell me where to head to, I'd be extremely grateful as I know North Carolina looks a big state!

Many thanks

Cheers

PS I presume driving is feasible!

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,007 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A question from a first time Brit!!

Cashbox, when would you be coming?

In the summer the beach would be nice. You could come down through the Eastern Shore of Maryland and the DelMarVa peninsula to the Outer Banks of NC. I'm thinking that's about a 7hr drive? Not sure. Houses and hotels book up way in advance so you should definitely pre-book your accommodation if that's what you decide to do.

There are some quaint shops there for your wife, but nothing like London or NYC shopping. The Outer Banks is (are?) one of NC's top tourist destinations with historic lighthouses, wild ponies, the Wright Brothers Memorial, Jockey's Ridge (huge sand dune) State Park, Roanoke Island and the outdoor drama of the Lost Colony.

Check out the Outer Banks forums here on TA to get a feel for the area.

London, United...
Level Contributor
165 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A question from a first time Brit!!

That's great...so basically start to look at an area called Outer banks?

London, United...
Level Contributor
165 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A question from a first time Brit!!

Shops she likes are tjmaxx, Marshalls, Old Navy...nothing flash!

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
144 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A question from a first time Brit!!

There is an outlet mall in Nags Head - Tangier Outelets - that your wife may enjoy. They have Ralph Lauren, J Crew, Izod and many others. Also, the aquarium in Manteo (on Roanoke Island) is worth a visit.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,007 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A question from a first time Brit!!

Cashbox, just look here on Trip Advisor and you'll see tons of info on the Outer Banks. It's a region of the coast that stretches on for miles and includes many different beaches and towns, but is all located on the narrow strip of islands called the Outer Banks with the ocean on the east side and the sound on the west side.

Edited: 22 April 2012, 16:22
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,069 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A question from a first time Brit!!

Read your post carefully and need some answers before can give advice?

What does it mean that you are a first time brit?

Why can't you bring your wife and kids?

how did you pick NC when there are so many other beaches closer to PHL in NJ, MD or MA?

have you said when you will be here?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A question from a first time Brit!!

Since your other thread about Wilmington was deleted, I'll repeat what I responded on it:

Wilmington (and Wrightsville Beach) would be a good alternative to the Outer Banks but it would be a much longer drive from Philadelphia.

US Airways has several daily non-stop flights between Philadelphia and Wilmington (ILM).

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,283 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A question from a first time Brit!!

She'd love Diamonds and Dunes...

diamondsanddunes.com/kitty-hawk/about-us.html

but you might not love it as much as she... ;)

9. Re: A question from a first time Brit!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 21:42