We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Family vacation beach???

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
160 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Best Family vacation beach???

My husband and I and our three granddaughters ages 12, 15 and seventeen will be going on a beach vacation in May of 2013 and can't decide where would be best. We live in Pittsburgh, Pa. We want an oceanfront beach condo or house and a little bit of things to do and places to eat within a few miles of the residence. We don't want a Myrtle Beach atmosphere. It is way too much everything. I would like to have a theatre maybe, some history or something to see and definitely some take out restaurants as well as a few shops for the girls to visit.

Any advice is appreciated.

Jan

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
144 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Family vacation beach???

How about a little more information. Price point? Do you ideally want to be oceanfront? What are your grandchildren into? What are you and you husband into? I would first recommend Kill Devil Hills, close to the Wright Memorial and not too far from Jockey's Ridge - big sand dunes with hang gliding and fun shops across the street, Kitty Hawk Kites. We stay in Duck every May, but we're more low key, but ther is fun shopping there too.

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
290 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Family vacation beach???

Check out Ocean Isle Beach.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
160 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Family vacation beach???

Have you ever visited Ocean Isle? I have been on line trying to get some information about it. I had never heard of it before you mentioned it. It is looking good. It looks like it has restaurants a little island shopping and a few things to do. ( I don't want much)

Do you know how large it is and whether you can walk to anything from your rental or do you have to drive to get anywhere?

Thanks for the suggestion.

Jan

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
290 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Family vacation beach???

I have been to several NC beaches and Ocean Isle is my favorite! I have been there 6 times. We have always gone in either July or August and stay at the Ocean Isle Inn. From the Inn we stay at you can walk to the pier, an ice cream shop, a park and a putt-putt. All the roads are 25 mph, so you can easily walk or rent a golf cart from the pier. We like to get burgers and fries from the pier and eat on the beach. The area is very quiet and laid back. I have never seen it crowded at all. You can drive into N.Myrtle in about 22 minutes if you want nightlife. There are lots of condos to rent but only 2 hotels/inns with only 70 rooms in each inn. The beach is the best in NC! It is wide and flat with sugar white sand. There are a ton of shells and shark teeth to pick up. The waves gently roll in so you can sit on your chair with your feet in the water. Check out the Ocean Isle Inn live webcam, or the Islander Inn webcam. Also you can go to youtube and find lots of video of the area.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
160 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Family vacation beach???

Thanks so much for the information. It sounds lovely. You did not mention if there were any restaurants within a few miles and also any coffee shops or shopping.

Thanks for your help.

Jan

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
160 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Family vacation beach???

Thanks so much for the information. It sounds lovely. You did not mention if there were any restaurants within a few miles and also any coffee shops or shopping.

Thanks for your help.

Jan

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
290 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Family vacation beach???

There are lots of places to eat. However, we usually drive 10 minutes inland to Shallotte. They have a Chili's that we like to go to, and we also go into N.Myrtle and eat at the K&W and Outback. Go directly to the Ocean Isle Beach Trip Advisor and click on restaurants, and click on travelers photos.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Family vacation beach???

Emerald Isle is fun. Enjoy your trip.

http://www.emeraldisle-nc.org/

Greenville, North...
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Family vacation beach???

Emerald Isle IS a nice quiet family-focused area. A real plus is that it's right below Atlantic beach, which might be more fun for teens --- and Beaufort, NC which is quaint and historic---perfect for the older crowd. Fort Fisher is also a great place for an afternoon excursion.

Also, if your coming from, PA, on the way down to Emerald Isle, there are two really great historic places to see: New Bern, which was the original Capital of NC, a really beautiful little town called "Little" Washington off of Highway 17. It sits on the Pamlico River and the waterfront promenade there is spectacular! Right on the promenade is a really awesome museum for kids called the 'Estuarium' which my kids loved.

Oh and I just remembered that down from Little Washington are two really other really great places too: one is Bath, which is the oldest town in NC. It's kind of famous because it was where the pirate, Blackbeard, lived and another place called Aurora. It's on the other side of the Pamlico River which you can take a car ferry across and get to (my kids thought the ferry was totally cool).

Aurora is really fun for kids who love prehistoric animals because there's a mine down there where they've found all kinds of fossils like 10" Megalodon Sharks' teeth. They have a little museum there that my little ones loved. They have these big piles of rubble from the mine that kids can dig through and find all kinds of aquatic animal fossils. So the Inner Banks (Eastern NC) and the Crystal Coast (which is what they call the strand where Emerald Isle is located) definitely has a lot to offer.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
8,049 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Family vacation beach???

I think Stanton meant to say "Fort Macon". Ft Fisher is south of Wilmington.

Get answers to your questions about North Carolina Coast