We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heli-Hiking or self-guided day hikes?

Scottsdale, AZ
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Heli-Hiking or self-guided day hikes?

My wife and I would like to make our first visit to the Canadian Rockies. We are avid hikers, but are looking to combine day hiking with luxury accomodations. Have read a number of articles about heli-hiking and it looks enticing but I am wondering if we would have an equally enjoyable experience (and save $) by staying at a great resort and doing day hikes on our own. Any thoughts on the topic are appreciated.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,028 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heli-Hiking or self-guided day hikes?

Heli-hiking is not permitted in the national parks, so for Banff, Jasper, Yoho & Kootenay NPs, that won't be an option for you.

There are so many outstanding hikes in those areas that you can spend a lifetime and never go heli-hiking. It's lots cheaper too!

There are outfits in the area that sell heli-hiking in other areas; one that I have heard of (and heard good things about) is CMH (Canadian Mountain Holidays?). I think they are based in Banff.

One place you may want to consider going is Mt. Robson Provincial Park in BC (one hour's drive west of the town of Jasper), the Berg Lake trail. Heli drop-offs are allowed a couple of days each week. Sorry, I don't know the name of the operator who offers it but you should be able to google it up. This is normally a backpacking destination, but with the heli-drop off, you can hike out (downhill) - it's a long day, about 22 or 23 km (about 15 miles). (Well, it's always seemed long to me because I've always done it as a backpacking trip with a heavy pack.)

Kimberley, Canada
Level Contributor
290 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heli-Hiking or self-guided day hikes?

goto;

www.kootenayrockies.com = "accomodations" link + "alpine lodges" - luxury accomocadations available at high eleveations.

+ www/janicestrong.com = "Mountain Footsteps Hiking Guide"

- both sites have great pics on what is in this corner of the Rockies.

No need for a helicopter - incredible day hikes throughout the Rockies.

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heli-Hiking or self-guided day hikes?

We have taken a fabulous hike at Mt RObson. They helicopter us up to Berg Lake and we walk out to our car -- 15 miles -- downhill.

it's one of the best hikles i;ve ever taken

4. Re: Heli-Hiking or self-guided day hikes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 15:19