We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather in the rockies

South Carolina
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
weather in the rockies

We will be in the Rockies from June 16th through the 24th. I have been checking the weather there lately and have noticed that the forecast is rain, rain, and more rain. Does the sun ever come out there??? Should we just expect socked-in rain the entire time?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,890 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather in the rockies

Clemsontigerfan,

Any forecast that you get that pretends to predict more than five days in advance is not worth the electrons used to transmit it to you. Yes, June can be quite rainy, but it can also be sunny and hot. Check the forecast closer to your departure for a more accurate prediction (and use the official Environment Canada forecast, www.weatheroffice.com), and be prepared for both sun and rain. The only thing I guarantee you won't need is an umbrella - when it rains here, it's often windy as well.

There is a positive side to rain! Rain keeps tourists huddled indoors, so that places like Lake Louise and Johnston's Canyon, normally thronged with visitors, are relatively quiet. That means that if you are dressed for the weather, you can really enjoy some private time in these areas. Also, birds come closer to the ground when it's wet, so you have a rare opportunity to get a good look, and other wildlife is more likely to be seen as well.

For more tips on rainy weather in the Rockies, check out the TripAdvisor Traveler Article, "Banff Rainy Day Activities" by clicking the BEFORE YOU GO link on the left menu bar, or going here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154911-c14480/Banff:…

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,024 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather in the rockies

Today in Jasper, it rained about five times and there must have been heavy rain last night, judging from the amount of water in my rain barrels. But in between those showers, the sun was out and it was very pleasant. I went for a hike and did a bunch of work in my garden.

Yes, it does rain a lot in the Rockies in June - it is our rainest month. In Jasper, on average there is some rain every second day, according to the historical weather info at Environment Canada - www.weatheroffice.com . But it is rarely for all day.

We need this rain in June, or else the forests get very dry and the fire hazard gets very high in July and August.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,929 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather in the rockies

krp, I thought the weather yesterday in Jasper was OK, then rained a bit, then OK again. Went up the tramway and it rained again, and then there was hail at the top, and we froze.

By about 5pm it was lovely and warm and down to my T-shirt.

Everything these lovely people tell you about layers is correct. Co-incidentally, as I type this from a Cafe in Downtown Jasper, the music playing is "Four seasons in one day"! :)

Edmonton
Level Contributor
453 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weather in the rockies

In Alberta we have a saying: If you don't like the weather, just wait around for 5 minutes.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weather in the rockies

Thanks, everyone, for your comments. That's good to know--and we will be sure to dress accordingly!

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,929 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: weather in the rockies

Drove down the Icefields Parkway today from Jasper to Golden and the highest recorded temp from the car was 8c. I got down to 1c around the Icefield and Bow Lake, and we were also driving in light snow in both those places, with rain nearly all the way to around Lake Louise. It is just one of those days I guess.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,300 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: weather in the rockies

Exactly... one of those days.

When I was in the Rockies a month ago (May 2-5), we had temperatures up to 20 Celsius in both Banff and Jasper. On the Columbia Icefields tour, I didn't need my gloves or hat or anything - I had too any layers on it was too warm!

Needless to say, weather and temperature in the Rockies can never be predicted, so it seems.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,024 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: weather in the rockies

LOL Frommy. to think I was apologizing for Jasper's weather a couple of days ago (when it was just occasional showers with a bit of sunshine in between). Today has been truly miserable: cold (the high in town today was 9) with low clouds and very rainy all day. The same is predicted for tomorrow! It is too bad you didn't have a nicer day for driving down the parkway - I don't imagine you saw too many mountains vistas. Hope the rest of the holiday has made up for it. :)

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,929 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: weather in the rockies

krp,

Our miserable weather day was made up for by our best black bear sighting of the trip about 40 km south of Jasper on the IP, and the bear was only about 10m off the road. The weather could not affect us after that experience. :)

Not to bad at Golden at the moment, but looking forward to Kelowna tomorrow where it may get to 17c.

10. Re: weather in the rockies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 12:19