We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Vancouver to Banff

UK
Level Contributor
174 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Vancouver to Banff

Help please! We visiting Vancouver in Sept 09. Going on Alaska cruise with Celebrity and had then booked Rockey Mountaineer the following day to Banff. We just been informed that RM has been cancelled on that date and alternative dates don't suit us. Our plan is now to hire car when we return from cruise and take 2 days to drive through Rockies to Banff. Can anyone give me any advice on route, hotel for overnight stay etc? We booked at Fairmont in Banff for 2 nights then Chateau at Lake Louise for 2 nights before flying back to UK from Calgary. We were disappointed that RM cancelled but we cannot change our cruise to accomodate alternative dates.

Thanks

Kimberley, Canada
Level Contributor
290 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Vancouver to Banff

Easy "two day" drive from Vancouver to Calgary; approx. 12 hours - depending upon your route.

Trans-Canada is most direct route HWY #1; "other options" could see you include a "dip" through the Okanagan or include www.kootenayrockies.com

Make use of Google.CA + MAPS link + get directions will give you turn by turn and estimated time for driving distances. .

It's only 60km - 45 minute max - from Banff to Lake Louise; Lake Louise is "very quiet" place to stay; you may prefer to stay all four nights in Banff; tons of accomodation; bit of a tourist trap, to most "locals".

If you want to get off the beaten track and see some beautiful country consider a day + over night trip to Radium Hot Springs to break up your four day/nights in Banff/Lake Louise. Big picture at www.kootenayrockies.com + Places to see link + Hot Springs; site also has recommended "Circle Tour" that could see you loop through Okanagan - great wine growing region + beach life etc. through to Kootenay Country.

Just my $.25 worth.

No matter what, you will enjoy!

UK
Level Contributor
174 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Vancouver to Banff

Thanks for the advice -I will certainly have a look at your suggestions. We arrive back in Vancouver from our Alaskan cruise on 28th and have afternoon of 28th, all day 29th and morning of 30th Sept. We booked in Banff 30th and 1st Oct then 2 nights in Lake Louise before flying back to UK from Calgary on afternoon of 4th. I have been told to switch my LL and Banff hotel reservations around and stay at LL first. Is this something you would also recommend?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,963 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Vancouver to Banff

The recommendation to stay at Lake Louise first is doubtless made for purely geographical reasons, as you will drive right past Lake Louise on your way to Banff. However, the two centres are only about 45 minutes apart, so if for some reason you feel it would be better to stay in Banff first, or your can't change your reservations, that's completely feasible.

4. Re: Driving from Vancouver to Banff

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 19:17