We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most Scenic Route from Glacier NP?

Camas, WA
Level Contributor
75 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Most Scenic Route from Glacier NP?

We are taking a road trip in July (postponed from last year), and will be driving from Glacier National park, through Pincher Creek, Alberta. I'm curious which route would be a more scenic drive:

1. Up highway 40, and through Canmore into Banff NP.

or

2. Up highway 93/95, through Invermere and Radium Hot Springs into Banff NP.

According to Google maps, there's not a huge difference between the two routes (about 80 miles), but this may be our only trip through the area and I'd like to see the best views along the way.

Recommendations?

Thanks,

Anthony

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Most Scenic Route from Glacier NP?

Both routes are quite scenic. I'd suggest the Alberta side (highways 22, 541, 40, and 1) as there is a bit more variety of landscapes. I'd expect the traffic to be lighter as well.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
75,033 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most Scenic Route from Glacier NP?

Hi Anthony;

Just a reminder...Effective June 1st 2009, you will require one of the following to cross the border by LAND.

• U.S. Passport

• U.S. Passport Card

• Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL)

• Trusted Traveler Program Card

If flying into or out of the US you MUST have a passport.

http://www.knowyourborder.gov/

For more details, read the “Crossing the Border” Traveler Article here on TA.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-s602/Canada:C…

Best Regards

Camas, WA
Level Contributor
75 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most Scenic Route from Glacier NP?

jerm,

> Both routes are quite scenic. I'd suggest the

> Alberta side (highways 22, 541, 40, and 1) as

> there is a bit more variety of landscapes. I'd

> expect the traffic to be lighter as well.

That's the shorter route also, so I'll probably opt for that one to give us a little extra time to sight-see once we're in the Banff area.

Is the 541 crossover a more scenic route than crossing over on 517? On a map at least, highway 40 looks more "squiggly", which I assumed would translate into more scenery? :) Google maps also shows 517 as the faster route. For that matter, how would it compare to just catching 40 off of highway 3?

RescueTeam,

> you will require one of the following to

> cross the border by LAND.

No problems, we have our passports ready to go!

Thanks,

Anthony

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Most Scenic Route from Glacier NP?

The route I suggested is paved the whole way. Highway 40 south of 541 is gravel (I think that section is actually signed '940'), as are the connectors. I haven't driven the whole length of that road--it does have some nice scenery, but much of my attention was spent avoiding potholes.

Highway 22 runs through the foothills and provides some nice vistas of the Rockies and rolling ranchland.

Camas, WA
Level Contributor
75 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most Scenic Route from Glacier NP?

> Highway 40 south of 541 is gravel

Very interesting, thanks for the heads up. That's the kind of thing that doesn't show up on a map.

Guess I'll take 541 and avoid the gravel. :)

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,682 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Most Scenic Route from Glacier NP?

I'd second the recommendation for the #40 route. It's hands-down the more scenic of the two.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Most Scenic Route from Glacier NP?

>>Very interesting, thanks for the heads up. That's the kind of thing that doesn't show up on a map.<<

You're welcome. Also for anyone else reading this, part of highway 40 is closed annually between December 1 and June 15. (Google maps doesn't mention that either. :) )

>>Guess I'll take 541 and avoid the gravel.<<

Sounds like a good plan. In this case, the shortest route isn't the fastest one. :)

Note that there aren't a lot of services between Pincher Creek and Canmore. If you want to pack a lunch, there are several picnic areas in Kananaskis Country (along highway 40 and part of 541). The Kananaskis Lakes (about 15 minutes drive from #40) would also be a nice place to have a picnic and/or short walk.

8. Re: Most Scenic Route from Glacier NP?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 18:21