We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will this itinerary generate lifelong memories? :)

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Will this itinerary generate lifelong memories? :)

Hello,

My wife, 15-year-old son, and I are planning a two-week Rockies adventure for mid-July. We're scrambling at the last minute to make these plans, due to another trip falling through...so I am hoping to get some advice on my proposed itinerary.

As first time visitors to Canada from California, we want to "get to know" a few special places in the Rockies, as opposed to hurrying through all the highlights. Photography is a key interest. I will doing a lot of early morning sunrises and late sunsets. Moderate daily hikes and scenic drives are also important.

With that in mind, do the following 3 "base" sites provide enough interest and variety with suitable distance between them?

(1) 4 nights in a lakefront cabin at Moraine Lake Lodge (booked).

http://www.morainelake.com/

(2) 6 nights in Canmore

--i have a great deal at my Worldmark condo in Canmore, so was hoping to use it as a base for a while.

(3) 2 nights at Lake O'Hara Lodge in Yoho NP (waitlisted)

If #3 falls through, any alternate suggestions?

Thank you very much for your time and input!

-Chris

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,088 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will this itinerary generate lifelong memories? :)

Looks good to me! If #3 falls through, then I would plan 2 nights in Jasper instead; that way you will be able to take your time both driving up the Icefields Parkway (Hwy 93N between Lake Louise and Japser) and driving back down. It's a scenic drive you won't forget, and Jasper NP is a wonderful destination.

If you *do* luck into a spot at Lake O'Hara, then you should still plan a day trip up the Icefields Parkway at least as far as the Columbia Icefields. You can take the snowcoach (oops, "Ice Explorer" - www.explorerockies.com/columbia-icefield/ ) onto the glacier, or book the guided ice walk (sounds like that's more your style - http://www.icewalks.com/ ).

Edmonton
Level Contributor
452 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will this itinerary generate lifelong memories? :)

With 6 nights in Canmore you have a lot of time to cover the Banff area. I would suggest taking a day trip into Kananaskis, some very pretty scenery in there. Go as far as the Upper & Lower Kananaskis Lakes in Peter Lougheed Park. That would be about 1:10 drive from Canmore. www.kananaskis.com

Edmonton
Level Contributor
373 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will this itinerary generate lifelong memories? :)

For Yoho, have you tried Cathedral Mountain or Emerald Lake Lodges?

cathedralmountain.com/lake_louise_rates_pack…

http://www.crmr.com/emerald-lake-lodge.php

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will this itinerary generate lifelong memories? :)

excellent suggestions folks. I'll look into each one asap!

Much appreciated.

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will this itinerary generate lifelong memories? :)

ok, the itinerary is taking further shape!

I've decided to break up our stay at Canmore into "book-ends", so that we can be relatively close to the airport when we arrive and the day we leave, and do a loop in between.

SUMMARY:

- 3 nights in Canmore (Worldmark Lodge)

explore Banff and Kananaskis

- 4 nights in Banff NP at Moraine Lake Lodge

http://www.morainelake.com/

explore the lake and nearby trails daily.

- 3 nights in Jasper at Alpine Village Lodge

http://www.alpinevillagejasper.com/

- UNDECIDED for 1 or 2 nights

Yoho maybe???

- 3 nights in Canmore (back at Worldmark Lodge)

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will this itinerary generate lifelong memories? :)

Heh heh. Just be warned that if you want to take pictures during sunrise and sunset, the hours are brutal. This far north the days are quite long in summer, and they're stretched out at both ends. Sunrise is well before 6am, and sunset is around 10pm.

My favorite times for photography are when the weather is gloomy. (The trouble with sunrises and sunsets is that there's less sky; the mountains are in the way!)

You can see today's sunrise/sunset times here:

weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/…ab-49_metric_e.html

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will this itinerary generate lifelong memories? :)

Forgot to mention... You know about alpenglow, right?

If you look *away* from the setting/rising sun, for a few minutes the mountains can turn some stunning shades of orange. But only for a few minutes, so you have to be on the ball.

Worth getting up early for. ^_^

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Will this itinerary generate lifelong memories? :)

Your itinerary sounds good.

For your remaining nights, Emerald Lake Lodge is a beautiful location in Yoho NP. Or you could visit Yoho during your stay at Moraine Lake Lodge.

Another option would be to stay at a backcountry lodge--there are several in the national parks. (Skoki, Twin Falls, and Shadow Lake are some, but I haven't stayed at any of them.) You could also look at staying in the Nordegg area--it is quieter there, and there is some nice scenery. We like staying at Aurum Lodge, which is about halfway between "The Crossing" and Nordegg.

9. Re: Will this itinerary generate lifelong memories? :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2009, 06:19