We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flying into Calgary and out of Vancouver - where to go??

london
Level Contributor
109 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
flying into Calgary and out of Vancouver - where to go??

We're thinking of spending up to 2 weeks in Canada at the beginning of August, flying into Calgary and out of Vancouver. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions of places to stay/visit??

We're hoping to be able to hire a car to get from place to place and would like ot visit Banff, Whistler and Victoria before going to Vancouver but I was just wondering if this would be feasible timewise and travelling by car.

any suggestions much appreciated!

thanks

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,048 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flying into Calgary and out of Vancouver - where to go??

The route between Calgary and Vancouver via the Canadian Rocky Mountain parks is a well-travelled and much discussed itinerary here, although because of the geographic scope of it, the information is scattered among many forums. I would suggest browsing recent posts in the following: Canadian Rockies, Alberta, Banff, Jasper, Whistler, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, British Columbia, Kamloops etc.

The forum "search" function will bring up loads of useful information. (Look for it just above the list of messages). Also, the TA "Traveler Articles" and "Top Questions" have a lot of helpful info. Go to the TA page for whatever destination you need advice, then look on the left hand side of the page, and you'll see the Traveller Articles, starting with "More on ...", "Before you go", "Things to Do", etc. Top Question are found in the top right corner.

Online maps can be very useful in laying out your itinerary - they have "directions" features which will give you mileage and driving times between stops. Try www.mapquest.com or www.maps.google.com . Because western Canada is very mountainous (the Rockies, which straddle the Alberta/BC border) are only one of the many chains of mountains between Calgary and the west coast), there are only a limited number of routes to travel, so looking at a map of the area will definitely assist you in laying out your itinerary.

Online resources that will be useful for the Rockies -

The Jasper and Banff/Lake Louise tourism offices:

www.jaspercanadianrockies.com

www.banfflakelouise.com

Parks Canada: www.pc.gc.ca - pick whichever park you want info for (Banff, Jasper, Yoho & Kootenay; once you are at the park's page, you'll see a menu down the left - choose "Visitor information"). Also, when you enter the park and pay your fee, you will be given an informative booklet that has information for all four parks.

Also, one of the main attractions in the area is the drive from Lake Louise to Jasper on a highway known as the Icefields Parkway - www.icefieldsparkway.ca . Although only about 225 km long, I usually recommend making a full day of it, stopping at the many scenic viewpoints, lakes, waterfalls along the way.

Oh yeah - one more thing - the first weekend of August is a long weekend (starting July 30 this year) and the resort towns (Banff, Jasper etc.) book up well in advance, so it would be wise to book for then as soon as you can.

Hope this helps!

Edited: 26 February 2010, 16:58
london
Level Contributor
109 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flying into Calgary and out of Vancouver - where to go??

wow thank you for all the info - I definitely have lots to keep me busy over the weekend!

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
259 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flying into Calgary and out of Vancouver - where to go??

We are doing a similar trip in June, it will be our first time on Vancouver Island. What I have been able to put together for an itinerary so far is:

Edmonton > Banff (bypass Calgary*) > Vancouver > Victoria (2 nights) > Nanaimo > Pacific Rim National Park (4-5 nights) > Tofino (2 nights) > Vancouver (2-3 nights) > Kelowna > Edmonton

* We go to Calgary often for the weekend, so no point wasting precious time there for us.

I think the difference with your trip and mine is that I travel to the Rockies and Calgary often so I can skip it. However if you haven't been to the Rockies you definitely don't want to miss it.

Two weeks is tight for such a spread out itinerary, but you can still get it done if you sacrifice sleeping in and don't mind constantly moving. I would suggest the following for a first timer to those spots:

- 4-5 days between Calgary and Banff/Lake Louis. This will give you a decent amount of time to at least see the Rockies. On such a time restrictive trip I would suggest not spending much time in Calgary at all, if any.

- 3-4 days between Banff/Lake Louis and Whistler. You could do the drive to Whistler from Banff in one very long day, but interior BC is very nice. If you like wines take a tour through the Okanagan wine valley or visit Osoyoos lake which is considered the warmest in Canada. This should give you 1-2 nights in Whistler.

- 3-4 days in Victoria and on the island. I haven't been there myself so I can't really make any suggestions.

- 3-4 days in Vancouver. I am a bit biased here since this is my favorite city in the world (and I've been to a good few places).

What type of travel do you normally do? Relax, outdoors, camping, etc...? That might help you get some better answers.

london
Level Contributor
109 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flying into Calgary and out of Vancouver - where to go??

thanks for your suggestions, we usually do hols where we're moving around so that part of it won't be a problem and I get six weeks off in summer so I can sacrifice the lie ins for a couple of weeks! We don't really have a type to be honest, we just like going to different places and wandering round and exploring, I've been to Vancouver before but my husband hasn't so we can't miss that out to give us more time elsewhere. I'm hoping to do some research over the weekend but with flights at £700 at the moment it's looking like it's all going to come down to the money

5. Re: flying into Calgary and out of Vancouver - where to go??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2010, 05:16