We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Royal Canadian Pacific" Train

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,427 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
"Royal Canadian Pacific" Train

We here in the various western Canada forums get a lot of questions about train travel in the Rockies, and about the VIA Rail train "The Canadian" or the "Rocky Mountaineer", provided by Rocky Mountain Rail Tours. I have often posted that anyone who wants to ride the CP line (through Roger's Pass, Kicking Horse Pass, Lake Louise and Banff) had only one choice - the Rocky Mountaineer. But.... I was wrong!

Today I was reading an article in the Canadian Geographic magazine - they put out a "Travel" issue every spring, and this year's theme is national parks. There is a feature about Yoho National Park, with mention of the Spiral Tunnels, the Burgess Shale etc. AND a train called the Royal Canadian Pacific. I had never heard of this before, so checked out the website: http://www.royalcanadianpacific.com/

Wow! Wouldn't that be a trip to do! At $8,000 per person, it may not be of interest to most reading these forums or travelling to the area, but in the interest of providing complete information, it deserves a mention. (Now I"m off to buy a lotto ticket.....)

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,405 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Royal Canadian Pacific" Train

Very interesting, Krp! I've heard CP has a collection of beautifully refurbished antique railcars--in fact, a few were on a special display at Heritage Park here some years ago--but I always thought they were strictly for promotional use.

Railfans can find more detailed information here:

http://www8.cpr.ca/cms/English/General+Public/Train+Downloads/RCP/default.htm

Edited: 12 March 2010, 19:51
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Royal Canadian Pacific" Train

Hi Krp329,

Like COUNTRY-WIFE, I too had heard "rumours" of such trips... knew there was a collection of historic prestigeous trains that were available for example for corporate bookings etc.

And a couple of years ago I recall reading something somewhere about them planning to launch trips open to the public... but it was sort of for more info contact ________ so I never researched it further. Interesting that they've now gone main-stream with a website and more open advertising. Guessing this would indeed be a trip of a lifetime.

KRP329, I too will put this on my TRAVEL WISH LIST for when I too win the lottery... maybe we can plan a TA Train Trip....

:-) *smile*

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Royal Canadian Pacific" Train

There is also a CP steam engine tour. I have not been on it, but last time I was there the train was parked in LL. I inquired, special once a year tour, and more money then I would ever spend on a train trip.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,155 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Royal Canadian Pacific" Train

Boy, and I thought the Shongololo Express was too expensive ..............

5. Re: "Royal Canadian Pacific" Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2010, 04:16