We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banff in late July or August

Seattle, WA
2 posts
Save Topic
Banff in late July or August

Hi,

I am planning to make a trip to Banff/Yoho and maybe even Jasper for a period of about 7 days or so (flexible). I would be driving from Seattle and would most probably be entering Canada through ID. I am going to be accompanied with a young 3 yr old and maybe my parents who are visiting us and are 60+. Hence, I'm not looking for a lot of strenous activity but mostly places with little to no hiking.

I definitely want to visit the following -

a) Lake Moraine

b) Emerald Lake

c) Lake Louise

d) Maybe Jasper

I have a few questions -

a) What are the places that I can see in Banff given my constraints?

b) I am not much of a snow-driver and dont really like that experience at all. Given that I would be the only designated driver in the group, would I be encountering any snow like conditions or extreme mountainous condition that I need to be vary off?

I would be doing driving for 10 straight days or so - coming from Seattle & then in the Rockies and then back to Seattle. Hence, I want to keep my driving to a reasonable extent and not drive in very strenous conditions too.

Thus, want to check if I would be encountering any of those conditions while in the Rockies.

Any help with the above questions would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,589 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Banff in late July or August

Your unlikely to encounter any snow on the roads. while it can snow in the mountains the roads will not be an issue. I do tours with seniors so its very easy to do this without much hiking.

Banff, you can do a drive around Lk Minnewanka, Tunnel Mountain. Drive up Sulphur mountain and do the gondola. Visit Bow Falls. These involve no walking.

Lk Louise and Moraine lk are very nice. Moraine you can visit by the shore but the nicer view is by climbing the rock pile.

Driving to Emerald Lake you can stop at The Spiral Tunnels overlook and Emerald Lk. Usually stop at Natural Bridge

I would think you'd want to drive the Icefield Pkwy as that to me is one of the highlights of the trip. I would normally stop at Crowfoot Glacier, Peyto Lk (small climb you may wish to avoid) or Bow Lake. Do the Icefield Explorer excursion at the Icefiled. Very nice. Afterwards stops at Athabasca Falls. From Jasper Patricia Lk and even Maligne Canyon have minimal walking.

I'm doing this tour later in the summer starting in Spokane and driving back to Seattle. Glacier and Watertown are very nice to visit while in the area. From there to Banff is a nice drive. Driving back consider crossing the border before Blaine and perhaps come back thru Eastern Washington..

What I outlined has virtually no walking and is very scenic.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,351 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Banff in late July or August

Just a friendly reminder that you will now require a passport or equivalent (enhanced driver's licence, etc) to cross the border into Canada by land (and to return back to the US!).

Aside from that, I agree with Davidgmg - I think you will find it quite easy to get to the main attractions withou a lot of walking. For more ideas, check out the list of Canadian Rockies "must sees" which was compiled by regulars on this forum:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g659487-c112507/Canad…

Seattle, WA
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Banff in late July or August

Thanks davidgmg and Country_Wife. Appreciate your detailed responses.

During the drive from Spokane onwards to Banff, are there any trecherous mountain passes that I need to be wary of? I'm guessing that if it is summer, the drive should not be as much of a hassle except that it is a fairly long drive.

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,247 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Banff in late July or August

Is that 7 days including the drive from Seattle, if so I would skip Jasper. If not, that still is tight, if you are going to do any activities. I would recommend 10 day in the parks if you are including Jasper. But then, I am hiking, fishing, etc.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,589 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Banff in late July or August

No the drive is very nice with no high mountain passes. Its an incredibly beautiful drive into Banff. Its not like the Colorado rockies and the elevations are much lower.

6. Re: Banff in late July or August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2010, 05:17