We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nine days in Rockies

Oviedo, Spain
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Nine days in Rockies

We are going to spend approximately 9 days in mid July between Jasper and Banff area and I have no clear how to distribute these days. We want to do some day hikes , and since we are coming from the north-west, I’m thinking of dividing the trip in three parts:

JASPER AREA:

Three complete days in Jasper area visiting Maligne Lake (Opal Hills), Sulphur Skyline hike and probably five lakes hike.

LAKE LOUISE AREA

A whole day driving the Icefields Parkway. Sleep in Lake Lousie Area or Field.

Three more days visiting Lake Louise area (any recommendation?) and Yoho. (Emerald lake or twin falls?)

BANFF AREA

Two days visiting Banff area (Johnston Canyon, any other recommendation?). Center in Banff or Canmore.

Do you think I should move one day from Jasper to any other area?

Is it possible to find accommodation in July or it would be safer to have everything booked beforehand?

Thanks.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,421 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nine days in Rockies

Your itinerary sounds great! Plan on having a good long soak at the Miette Hot Springs after the Sulphur Skyline hike - it's such a treat! By the way, I have a review and photos of that hike posted here on TA.

If you get an early start on your Icefields Parkway day, you may want to hike Wilcox Pass or Parker Ridge - both are in the Columbia Icefields area and defintely worthwhile.

Hikes I would recommend in the Lake Louise area - Larch Valley or Eiffel Lake/Wenkchemna Pass, both at Moraine Lake, or the famous tea house hikes (Plain of Six Glaciers, Lake Agnes).

Regarding accommodation, the more popular, better value accommodations tend to book well in advance, so I would advise booking ahead if your needs are specific, or if you need to keep your holiday budget down.

Field is a very small village, and if you want to book a self-catering "guesthouse" accommodation there, you will need to do it in advance. Lake Louise is also very small, and accommodation there tends to be in short supply and quite expensive, so I do recommend booking ahead.

If you do decide to "wing it", I'd advise arriving as early in the day as you can for the best choice of available accommodation. There are online vacancy lists for Jasper accommodation - hotels have a 4-day vacancy report at the Jasper Tourism website: www.jaspercanadianrockies.com and private home accommodations and B&B's are listed a week ahead at www.stayinjasper.com . There are also daily vacancy lists posted at the Jasper information Centre, and courtesy (free) phones are available for phoning around to book.

Vancouver
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Nine days in Rockies

There are a few absolutely fantastic hike books that you can buy.

Personally I like "the best day hikes in the canadian rockies" written by Tim Jensen. Googel the internet where you can buy it.

Oviedo, Spain
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nine days in Rockies

Thanks krp329 and Dominique,

I've just began to look in the sites you told me. It seems to be a lot of places so it's going to be a hard work.

It 'd be great to find a budget cabin in LL or Yoho. Do you know any?

I was thinking of buying a hiking book. The problem is that only on the internet I've found a hundred of hikes in the different National Parks. That's why I asked for some advice of someone who knows the place.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,421 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nine days in Rockies

The only "budget" accommodation in Lake Louise is the HI Alpine Centre (the hostel) - they do have some private rooms. Of the hotels and cabin accommodations, the Moutaineer (hotel) is the least expensive, as far as I know.

Field accommodations are listed at www.field.ca and Lake Louise is included at www.banfflakelouise.com .

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nine days in Rockies

In LL the hostel is the cheapest then the Mountaineer. I have stayed one time there, not nothing fancy, but good clean well located place to stay. Given my choice I would stay in the cabins at Paradise Lodge. You might also look at Baker Creek.

I prefer to base out of LL then Banff. You ahve quick access to the parkway hikes, if which there are many and you are close to Yoho. I would skip Field. By the way there is a hotel on the road to Field, I cannot remember the name, but its a complete dump, avoid no matter how good the rate is.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,405 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nine days in Rockies

You're thinking of the West Louise Lodge, Wes. I don't know for myself if it's a dump (although it doesn't look promising from the highway), but it's the only possibility.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g182193-d497671…

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nine days in Rockies

Yes, that it. I stop and bought gas there one time and look at it. The indoor pool was deep green (and I do not mean painted) and the interior was not much better.

Oviedo, Spain
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nine days in Rockies

Thanks a lot for your answers.

9. Re: Nine days in Rockies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2010, 05:17