We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need help planning trip, 4 nights between jasper and banff e

ireland
Level Contributor
70 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
need help planning trip, 4 nights between jasper and banff e

travelling in total for 7 days round trip from vancouver in our car.. is 4 nights sufficient to be divided between Banff and Jasper?love gentle hikes,taking photos and wildlife.

Day 1 vancouver to Valemont

day 2 drive to jasper overnight perhaps?mt Robson

day 3 jasper to lake Louise , icefields, maligne canyon, athabasca falls, Bow and peyto lakes. Ride ice explorer. overnight Lake louise

day 4 , 5 Banff national Park

Not sure if trying to fit in to much? would appreciate help in completing plan. considering getting Gypsy guide. ? pick up?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
128 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need help planning trip, 4 nights between jasper and banff e

Your first day of driving is quite long - and Valemount is only about an hour and a bit out of Jasper, so you might want to consider altering your driving plans a bit. Of course last time I did this drive I had two small children with me, so we split the Valemount to Vancouver leg into two days. I wouldn't drive the mountain roads after dark. You'll miss out on some spectacular scenery and are also at more risk to hit wildlife.

I don't think you're trying to fit in too much (although your day 3 does look pretty packeed!) - just maybe be prepared to change your plans if you really like one particular place! This part of the world is so gorgeous, you'll enjoy yourself just soaking it all in without having to worry too much about seeing a list of attractions. A couple hikes I'd really recommend around Jasper are the Bald Hills and Opal Hills routes (you'll have to google them.)

If anything, I might be tempted to shorten your time in Banff and give yourself another day around Jasper - but that's because I prefer Jasper to Banff - maybe you'll feel differently.

Are you driving back to Vancouver via the Trans Canada? Make sure to stop around Rogers Pass - some of the best scenery of the whole drive is around there - in between Golden and Revelstoke.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,363 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need help planning trip, 4 nights between jasper and banff e

What time of the year are you considering? This could have an impact on some advice.

While I am not familiar with Valemount, nor the route from Vancouver to Jasper, the reply above intrigued me and Google maps tells me it would be a bit more than 8 hours drive only time to Valemount. That would be a very long day indeed with no time to "smell the roses". Clearwater is generally recommended as a good overnight point, and is about 5.5 hours from Vancouver, or even Kamloops, which is about half way and 4 hours driving.

If your intention is to get as close to the Rockies as possible, so as to maximise your time there, then that is commendable, at the expense of white line fever for day 1. I am also a huge fan of Jasper and would recommend a day there, but not at the expense of such a solid drive on day 1.

I generally like to recommend 2 days in Jasper and three days in Banff. You could certainly drop Lake Louise, as it is only 45 mins from Banff, and that saves you changing rooms for one night as well. Cover LL and Moraine Lake in a day trip with some gentle hikes there. I would, in your time frame, recommend one day in Jasper and two days in Banff. Have you considered doing a one-way car trip and fly out of Calgary? That would give you an extra day in the Rockies.

I have to disagree with HermoineLee in respect to the drive between Golden and Revelstoke. While it has nice scenery, it certainly does not have the jaw-dropping beauty of the Rockies as driven along the Icefields Parkway between Jasper and LL. That is a truly great drive, as recognised by National Geographic Travel.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: need help planning trip, 4 nights between jasper and banff e

You are definitely trying to fit too much in, much too much.

What time of the year are you visiting? Am I right in thinking you are travelling with a baby? If so this could be a long hard few days depending on how well the baby travels.

Do you just have 7 days in total for your visit or is this part of a longer trip? Any chance of adding a bit more time into the itinerary to give you longer in Jasper?

Canada is big - very big and there is a lot of driving. The scenery is so good you need to build in plenty of time on drives to stop and enjoy it, as well as stopping to watch the wildlife - you might see bears as you drive.

I think you are short changing Jasper and not allowing much time for it.

Day 3 looks very ambitious if you are intending to start with Maligne canyon ( even if you park at the cafe at the top you need to walk to enjoy the best views of the canyon). You also need to allow time to walk from the car park to Athabasca falls, Bow and Peyoe LAkes.... ride the ice explorer...

I'm going to show my ignorance - what is gypsy guide?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,974 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need help planning trip, 4 nights between jasper and banff e

I think you will be utterly exhausted and drained. We did the loop in 9 days, but we skipped Banff entirely. For travelers trying to get to and from Vancouver in only seven days, my first suggestion is to FLY to Calgary, then you are only 2 hrs from Banff instead of 10 by road. Because, really, if all you are going to do is zoom along the highway, stopping only to eat and pee, then really, what's the point? Go from Calgary.

If that really isn't an option, then, with only 7 days, then I would focus on Banff, take 2 days up, 2 days back which leaves you with three days in and around Banff. You can get as far as the Icefields Centre and back in a day from Banff, which will allow you to see some of that breathtaking scenery. It will leave you wishing you had more time and then you will come back and see Jasper on another trip.

On the way up to Banff, take the original highway 1 and stop in Revelstoke, and on the way back, stop in Salmon Arm and take the Coquihalla (Hwy 5) to return to Vancouver.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
128 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need help planning trip, 4 nights between jasper and banff e

Just to clarify - I meant that in between Revelstoke and Golden is the nicest part of the drive back along the Trans Canada from Banff to Vancouver. I agree it doesn't compare to the Icefields Parkway, which is in a class of its own! :)

ireland
Level Contributor
70 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need help planning trip, 4 nights between jasper and banff e

Thanks for the help.

Have decided that an 8 hour journey on day 1 is too much.

Will stop in Kelowna or Kamloops I think. We have managed to add 2 extra days to our trip taking all the advice,departing Vancouver on sat sept 4 returning sun 12 .

So making it 2 days to get to Jasper then follow above plan.

How much is possible to do in those days at an enjoyable pace?

I would welcome a plan?

Is it worth renting the gypsy from Vancouver and returning it in Banff?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,974 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: need help planning trip, 4 nights between jasper and banff e

I've managed to complete parts 1 and 2 of my very lengthy and overly detailed trip report. You may find it helpful to review what our plan was and then adjust and personalize your itinerary from there. As I said, we skipped Banff entirely on this trip. I'll try to get the rest of the TR done in the next couple of days. If you are having trouble finding them, just click on my profile and scan down my contributions to the forums.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,363 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: need help planning trip, 4 nights between jasper and banff e

This is the GyPSy coverage area:

www.gpstourscanada.com/where/where.html

9. Re: need help planning trip, 4 nights between jasper and banff e

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2011, 06:55