We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jasper and banff or banff and glacier national park or all 3

charlotte
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
jasper and banff or banff and glacier national park or all 3

Family of 4 from north carolina, with two sons ages 17 and 20, early July.

My husband thinks we can fly into edmonton, see Jasper 4 nights, banff 4 nights and then drive to glacier national in montana 4 nights and fly out of kalispell Mountana. I feellike it will be too much driving and we should cut out jasper or glacier and just see more in 2 areas. We have 11-13 nights. Any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Banff National Park
National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Hiking Trails
Temple Mountain
Mountains, National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jasper and banff or banff and glacier national park or all 3

It's doable timewise, but you'll need a full day to drive from Jasper to Banff (so you have plenty of time to take in the many beautiful stops along the way) and at least 6 hours to drive from Banff to GNP. So I wouldn't try to do it with less than 13 nights.

The bigger problem you will face will be finding a rental car company that will allow you to pick up a vehicle in Canada and drop it off in the US. That topic has come up many times in the forums. If you can find a company that will allow it, you are going to pay dearly to do so.

Mentioned in this post
Jasper
Jasper
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,850 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jasper and banff or banff and glacier national park or all 3

makes way more sense to fly into Calgary and do a circle down to Glacier up to Banff and Jasper and back to Calgary.

Caravan.com

does this tour daily and if you look at the itinerary you will see a logical way to do this drive. IMHO 4 nites in Jasper is way too long. You can use more time in Banff or add one nite in Lk Louise and add Yoho natl park to your list.

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Banff
Banff
Jasper
Jasper
Canmore, Alberta
Destination Expert
for Canmore
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jasper and banff or banff and glacier national park or all 3

How much you want to spend in each park depends on what you want to do and see, you could easily spend a week in each park if you started getting into hikes, etc.

If you do want to stick to your husbands plan, I also agree that the flying into Calgary makes more sense and doing the suggested route that davidgmg has suggested.

Rent your car at the Calgary airport. Drive from Calgary to Waterton National Park that sits on the border to Glacier National Park. Spend 4 night in Glacier, or even 1 in Waterton and 3 in Glacier.

Drive from GNP to Banff stay 4 night.

Take the day to drive the Columbia Icefields Parkway.

Jasper 4 nights.

Drive back down the parkway, perhaps spending one night in Lake Louise to break up the drive so you are not going all the way from Jasper to Calgary in one shot.

Don't worry about driving the parkway twice, the scenery is different and spectacular in each direction. It will give you more opportunities to do things along the way.

Head back to Calgary and return the car at the airport.

It is doable but you will have a few days with some longer drives in them regardless of what order or route you take to get in all 3 parks.

I would assume cost wise it would be better to rent and return the vehicle in the same country. You could look into flying into in and out of the states if that works out cheaper and doing the car rental from there. Make sure you check into your car rental agreement carefully. Make sure you are allowed to take it across the border. Sometimes special unlimited mileage has limitations that it is only valid if the vehicle does not leave the country or sometimes the state or province.

Cheers:)

Edited: 29 January 2011, 19:35
Mentioned in this post
Icefields Parkway
Icefields Parkway
1,452 Reviews
Lake Louise
Lake Louise
5,380 Reviews
Lake Louise, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Banff
Banff
Jasper
Jasper
San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,263 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jasper and banff or banff and glacier national park or all 3

I have been to the Banff Parks (B,J,Y, K) and Glacier Parks (G,W) many times. If you want to do any hiking other then short walks, that is really not enough days. You have too much windshield time, between all of them. I would really suggest that you either pick BJYK or GW.

However, if you must, then follow the recommendations above and skip Edmonton. By the way the car rentals in Kalispell are not Company owned so forget about one ways.

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Kalispell
Kalispell
Montana
Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: jasper and banff or banff and glacier national park or all 3

For me personally, it would be a little cramped on time.

Just wanted to comment on the car rental. Two years ago we visited Glacier NP and the Canadian Rockies (part of a longer one month trip). We actually had no problems with a car rental. I think it was Avis we used. We rented in Kalispell and dropped off in Calgary. I don't remember the price, but could probably look it up.

We actually flew into Billings and out of Calgary and originally I searched for a month long one way rental. The price came back as $10,000. No joke! We had looked at many options but ended up doing two car rentals (one from Billings to Kalispell then one from Kalispell to Calgary).

Mentioned in this post
Kalispell
Kalispell
Montana
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: jasper and banff or banff and glacier national park or all 3

I haven't been to Glacier NP in Montana so I can't comment on that. But I'll say that the comparison between Banff and Jasper National Parks is that Banff has the more spectacular scenery, while Jasper has the more spectacular widlife. Not that there aren't critters in Banff or stunning views in Jasper, but that's how I think they compare. Jasper is also less crowded, being further from Calgary.

Since Banff and Jasper NP's are adjacent, they make a good pair for a trip, since you can work your way from one to the other without any break in sights to see and trails to hike.

Mentioned in this post
Montana
Montana
United States
Banff
Banff
Jasper National Park
Jasper National Park
Canadian Rockies, Canada
Jasper
Jasper
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: jasper and banff or banff and glacier national park or all 3

If you are the type of traveller who likes to see a region - and see it well - cut out Glacier NP and focus on the Canadian Rockies National Parks. It will also simplify things in terms of the car rental by flying in and out of Calgary. There's no doubt that ALL of these National Parks are beautiful - but they take time to see and enjoy. Here in Banff and Lake Louise - we are actually surrounded by 4 National Parks! Banff, Yoho, Kootenay and Jasper are all unique, worthwhile and some of the most stunning mountain scenery you will ever see. The drive to Jasper is one of the highlights of our area - check out the Icefields Parkway....

www.icefieldsparkway.ca

For a grown-up family like yours - you could really enjoy spending a few days on the Icefields Parkway. Enjoy some time at the Columbia Icefields Glacier Experience to enjoy either a tour or a walk on the glaciers. Also recommended - a hike to either Wilcox Pass or Parker's Ridge. Well worth the effort for some of the best scenery in the Rockies.

Your kids are old enough that you could also enjoy the opportunity to try some more "adult" activities like a white water rafting trip on the Kicking Horse River (Chinook Rafting, Hydra Rafting and Rocky Mountain Raft Tours are a few companies that raft the Kicking Horse) and do a Zipline and ATV tour!!

www.banffadventures.com

www.wildwatercom

www.banffatvtours.com

You might be interested in the Voyageur Canoe trip that Discover Banff Tours offers - it's would be super fun for a family with adult-ish kids.

www.banfftours.com

You might also enjoy renting your own boat at Lake Minnewanka and making your own adventure - great fun on a hot day.

www.explorerockies.com

In Banff you can rent bicycles and cruise about town or enjoy a longer ride on the new Legacy Trail. Also, spending a day hiking in Lake Louise is a MUST - as is renting a canoe at either Lake Louise or Moraine Lake.

So, as you can see - there's a lot to see and do and that is just in Banff. Take your time and enjoy visiting the Canadian Rockies: 11-13 nights is the perfect amount of time to enjoy this once-in-a-lifetime trip.

banfflakelouise

Mentioned in this post
Lake Louise
Lake Louise
5,380 Reviews
Lake Louise, Canada
Icefields Parkway
Icefields Parkway
1,452 Reviews
Wilcox Pass
Wilcox Pass
80 Reviews
Chinook Rafting
Chinook Rafting
1,344 Reviews
Banff, Canada
Rocky Mountain Raft Tours
Rocky Mountain Raft Tours
82 Reviews
Banff, Canada
Discover Banff Tours
Discover Banff Tours
1,911 Reviews
Banff, Canada
Lake Minnewanka
Lake Minnewanka
2,835 Reviews
Banff, Canada
Banff Legacy Trail
Banff Legacy Trail
131 Reviews
Banff, Canada
Moraine Lake
Moraine Lake
4,531 Reviews
Lake Louise, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Banff
Banff
Jasper
Jasper
Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
332 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: jasper and banff or banff and glacier national park or all 3

Agree with davidgmg; the circle makes perfect sense to me. It would be a shame to be so close and skip GNP in Montana. We were there this summer, and like Banff and Jasper, loved the spectacular scenery, lots to do and see. Of course this would depend on what others have said here; if you're really into long hikes every day, then you might not have the time. If you're just into walking and maybe short hikes here and there, then in my opinion, you would have plenty of time to enjoy all 3. And plenty of time to enjoy things like sightseeing, canoeing and rafting. Also as someone mentioned, maybe you could spend 1 night in Waterton Lakes as the entrance to GNP is just outside the gate and around the corner. Please let us know what you decide. And have a great time planning your trip, which is part of the fun!

Mentioned in this post
Montana
Montana
United States
Banff
Banff
Jasper
Jasper
Waterton Lakes National Park
Waterton Lakes National...
Canadian Rockies, Canada
9. Re: jasper and banff or banff and glacier national park or all 3

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2012, 07:16