We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in mid-May

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
206 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in mid-May

Hi all,

I am visiting Canada mid-May and am trying to decide whether it would be worth making a trip through the Canadian Rockies- Banff, Lake Louise & the Icefield parksway. I have been reading that the weather may be iffy and some of the lakes would still be frozen and there will be snow.

Can anyone give me some more info on weather conditions in May, and your opinion? Would it be safe to drive as well?

I was hoping to see Lake Louise in all its glory, but I guess thats out. At the same time, I've never see snow so it might be interesting!! It's just that I would be moving things around in my itinerary a bit to make this trip, plus the additional cost, so I do want it to be worth it!!

Thanks!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,743 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in mid-May

Lake Louise, as well as the other high glacial lakes (Peyto, Bow, Moraine, Maligne, Waterfowl etc.) will still be frozen - they usually thaw in the first week of June. There will still be large snowbanks at the side of the Icefields Parkway at the higher elevations, and some of the seasonal roads will not yet be open. (In Banff National Park, the Moraine Lake road opens in late (?) May, in Jasper NP, the Cavell Road doesn't open until mid-June, the Miette Road opens in mid-May). At lower elevations, the trees and shrubs will not yet have leafed out (that happens in about the third week of May).

In general, road conditions are good. There is always a chance of snow flurries, but not much likelihood of enough snow falling to accumulate or to make driving hazardous.

For weather averages, go to the Environment Canada weather website; climate.weatheroffice.gc.ca/Welcome_e.html ... and click on "climate normals and averages", then choose your location (Banff or Jasper) and up will come a chart giving not only month by month averages for temperature and precipitation, but also record values.

2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in mid-May

Bring warm clothing for the Icefield's trip but other that by mid May is should be very nice. Snow will still be aroun on the roadside and probably at Lake Louise which will be nice for you.

If you want warmer weather head to the Okanagan in British Columbia, it is usually much warmer there.

2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in mid-May

Bring warm clothing for the Icefield's trip but other that by mid May is should be very nice. Snow will still be aroun on the roadside and probably at Lake Louise which will be nice for you.

If you want warmer weather head to the Okanagan in British Columbia, it is usually much warmer there.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
2,898 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in mid-May

Banff and Lake Louise are worth a visit at any time of year. The scenery is always stunning - in spring, summer, fall and winter. In Banff, you'll get a taste of Spring in the Rockies. May is the best time of year to see wildlife from the luxury of your car, as you drive along and enjoy the viewpoints and scenery of the roads of Banff National Park. You seem to have a very clear picture of what the weather is like here - what you described it correct. You'll find a beautiful, frozen Lake Louise - and lots of snow on the sides of the road while driving the Icefields Parkway. The weather changes constantly in the mountains, especially in May. Expect it all - sunshine, snow and rain and most of all, incredible scenery. The temperature averages in May range from -2c to 15c.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
206 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in mid-May

Thank you. We have decided to arrive beginning of June now though!

6. Re: Weather in mid-May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 20:17