We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

National and Provincial Parks fees

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
751 posts
640 reviews
Save Topic
National and Provincial Parks fees

We'd be grateful for some advice please.

I've been reading various links in TA about fees for going into National Parks.

Do these fees apply to Provincial Parks as well?

We will be traveling a scenic route in an RV from Vancouver to Calgary, taking 2 weeks, going via Hope, Oliver, Vernon, Nakusp, Nelson, Revelstoke, Kamloops, Tete Jaune Cache, Jasper, Banff (staying 3 days) and Bow River .

If we camp in a National or Provincial Park campground, does the camping fee include any park fee, or do we pay that in addition?

If the annual pass covers ALL parks, I'm thinking that maybe we should buy that for our trip. There isn't a shorter period pass for visitors, I suppose? Say 2 weeks or a month?

As we come from the UK, we are unlikely to use any pass after our 2 week visit.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Vernon
Vernon
Okanagan Valley, Canada
Nelson
Nelson
Kootenay Rockies, Canada
Revelstoke
Revelstoke
Kootenay Rockies, Canada
Kamloops
Kamloops
British Columbia, Canada
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Bow River
Bow River
561 Reviews
Calgary, Canada
Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
582 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: National and Provincial Parks fees

Provincial and national parks are separate.

National parks you need to buy a pass.

BC parks you do not have to buy a pass, FREE.

Camping fees in both parks are added on top and will vary due to power, water fire fees back country, if you reserve ahead of time and other variables.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/fees/

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/agen/tarifs-fees.aspx

I would strongly recommend reserving campspots especially around long weekends.

Hope this helps, enjoy your visit :0)

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
751 posts
640 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: National and Provincial Parks fees

Thanks mooseboy

Useful links - I had found the national parks one previously, but the BC Parks website is very useful.

As we will be spending 2 days in the Jasper and 4 in Banff, it looks like the annual parks pass is worth buying.

Mentioned in this post
Jasper
Jasper
Banff
Banff
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,919 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: National and Provincial Parks fees

The annual pass is a good value if you're going to be visiting national parks for 7 days or more. This TA Traveller Article goes into the national parks fees in more detail:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154910-c13975/Banff-…

There are no fees - except for camping etc. - in Alberta provincial parks (Peter Lougheed PP, Dinosaur PP, etc.) You'll find a brief summary of the camping fees here:

http://www.albertaparks.ca/feeschedule.aspx

Edited: 05 May 2011, 18:02
Mentioned in this post
Alberta
Alberta
Canada
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: National and Provincial Parks fees

Also, don't forget that the daily pass is valid until 4 pm the next day... your 6 days in the parks may only require passes for 5 days, depending on your schedule for the last day.

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
751 posts
640 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: National and Provincial Parks fees

I'm trying to do a calculation - my brain hurts..!!

If we arrive in Jasper on day 1 and want to go into a Park campground, we will have to buy a pass. No problem. That supposedly lasts until 4pm the next day (day 2), but if we are staying over a second night before leaving on day 3, will we have to buy a second pass, because we are still within the park area, even though we are just in a campground?

Similarly, when we are staying for 4 nights at the Tunnel Mountain campground in Banff, will we need to buy a pass every day, even for a day when we don't go elsewhere in the park? (Eg into town, or up to Sunshine Village)

I'm not trying to avoid legitimate charges, just being realistic in calculating our costs.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Jasper
Jasper
Tunnel Mountain Resort
Tunnel Mountain Resort
1,189 Reviews
Banff, Canada
Banff
Banff
Sunshine Village
Sunshine Village
698 Reviews
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,919 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: National and Provincial Parks fees

Paying for your campsite is in addition to the park pass which every visitor must pay for. If you're in the park, whether you're camping, staying in a hotel, or sleeping in your car (just kidding!), you must have a park pass.

You don't have to buy a pass each day; you can buy a pass for however many days you need, as long as they're consecutive. So if you're going straight from Jasper to Banff, just buy a national parks pass for 6 days when you arrive in Jasper.

Mentioned in this post
Jasper
Jasper
Banff
Banff
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: National and Provincial Parks fees

Think of the park pass as your pass for entry and use of the parks - if you have a vehicle, anytime you are in the park, you need a pass. The towns of Jasper and Banff are within the national parks, so visiting the towns requires you to have a park pass.

However, I just realized that in addition to your six days in Banff and Jasper National Parks, you are probably also visiting Mt. Revelstoke and Glacier National Parks while you are visiting Revelstoke, so it's probably worth your while to buy the annual one, in which case you will already have it when you arrive at the JNP west gate. The Annual Discovery Pass is the one that covers all national parks and historic sites.

Coming from Mt. Robson, just after you go over the BC/Alberta provincial border (move your watch ahead one hour to MDT), you will come to the Parks Canada kiosk on the highway.

Mentioned in this post
Jasper
Jasper
Banff
Banff
Jasper National Park
Jasper National Park
Canadian Rockies, Canada
Revelstoke
Revelstoke
Kootenay Rockies, Canada
Mount Robson Inn
Mount Robson Inn
1,712 Reviews
Jasper, Canada
Alberta
Alberta
Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
Bristol, England
Level Contributor
751 posts
640 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: National and Provincial Parks fees

Yes, I think we'll go for the annual pass.

One final question - can we pick up an annual pass at the kiosk at the first park we reach, or do we need to do that in advance?

We will have has a 3 days in downtown Vancouver before we pick up the RV and at the very beginning of our trip we will have one day in Calgary before getting on the train to Vancouver. Would it be easy to buy the pass in either of those places?

Again, many thanks for all advice

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
20,116 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: National and Provincial Parks fees

I don't know about that, but we just purchased our annual pass as we entered Banff NP, being the first NP we arrived at. No problem at all.

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,919 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: National and Provincial Parks fees

You don't have to buy your park pass in advance; you can buy it at the first national park that you enter. Unless you are there on the Friday before a long weekend, you shouldn't have much of a wait.

In Calgary, the Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC) will sell you a pass if you're a MEC member ($5 toj oin); I don't know if the MEC stores in Vancouver do that too. The Alberta Motor Association (AMA) sells the pass (at a 10% discount) to CAA / AAA members from their offices; I don't know if they will sell to non-members. The price for an AMA membership is considerably more than for a MEC membership. Again, the BC Automobile Association's offices in Vancouver may have a similar setup; you might try posting on the Vancouver forum to see if someone there can fill you in. MEC also has stores in Vancouver.

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Alberta
Alberta
Canada