We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help us plan a Canadian Rockies holiday

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
211 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Help us plan a Canadian Rockies holiday

My husband & I (in our mid 50s) are planning to drive (round trip)from Vancouver to see the canadian rockies for a week in early September. What is the best route & must see sites? Any help with clean, budget accomodation will be appreciated.

We love doing walks & not into adventure sports.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,686 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help us plan a Canadian Rockies holiday

Your holiday sounds very similar to this one, so some of the same links and information will be helpful to you too:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g659487-i11598-k446…

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
20,717 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help us plan a Canadian Rockies holiday

G'day kiwi neighbour, and welcome to trip Advisor.

IMO a week will really only give you drive-by on a round trip from Vancouver, considering the distances involved, with the best recommendations being to take the drive on the Vancouver/Rockies route over two days, leaving you only three days in the jewel of western Canada. I would suggest you consider flying into Calgary for more time in the Rockies, and either fly out of Calgary, or do a one-way drive to Vancouver.

The rest of the details could be filled in later once your overall plans are set.

Edited: 09 May 2011, 11:51
Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
211 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help us plan a Canadian Rockies holiday

Thanks for that. It was helpful. will look into details.

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
211 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help us plan a Canadian Rockies holiday

HI there. it does sound like a week is too short. will consider flying 1 way. thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31,921 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help us plan a Canadian Rockies holiday

Great idea! Banff is only 2 hrs from Calgary, but a good 10 from Vancouver, and as the region between Jasper and Banff deserves the lion's share of your time, everything else should be organized around that. You could very easily spend the entire week between Banff and Jasper, and, as noted, if you are coming from Vancouver you have either one extremely long and exhausting day or two slightly shorter ones to get there and back, without really having the time to enjoy it.

To anyone planning this sort of trip, if you are going to go to the bother of approaching from the Vancouver side, make sure your schedule allows for a minimum of one night on the road, preferable two or three. Otherwise you are just not going to see much anyway, which defeats the purpose and you might as well save yourself the trouble and approach from the Calgary side.

If you are doing this as a one way trip, I strongly advocate for the highway 1 route as the most spectacular. Option 1 in this article:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154922-c120076/Briti…

I would stop one night in Revelstoke (two is better, allowing for a full day to drive up to the Meadow in the Sky and tour the Railway Museum) and then once you get to the National Parks, turn north first and head directly for Jasper. 2 - 3 nights Jasper and then turn back down the Icefields Parkway (because it really is worth doing twice) and head for the Banff/Lake Louise area for another 3 nights. Perhaps finish with one night in Calgary if you have time.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
3,236 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help us plan a Canadian Rockies holiday

If you're planning on spending the bulk of your time in the Canadian Rockies, I'd fly in to Calgary and focus your time on Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper. A 10 day itinerary is usually perfect, but certainly even a few extra days will give you even more freedom to explore.

In Banff, we've got a wide range of affordable accommodation. The King Edward Hotel, the Homestead Inn and the Bumpers Inn are just a few of your budget friendly options. You may also consider staying at a bed and breakfast. Cottage Bed and Breakfast, At Wits End Bed and Breakfast and Alpine Bed and Breakfast are a few that I would recommend.

You can browse all accommodations in Banff at:

www.banfflakelouise.com

7. Re: Help us plan a Canadian Rockies holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 00:17