We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking advice on Itinerary for Edmonton-Jasper-Banff

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
55 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Seeking advice on Itinerary for Edmonton-Jasper-Banff

We arrive in Edmonton mid-Sep, stay in downtown area 2 or 3 nts there before going to Jasper by car. Recommend suitable hotel in Jasper? We are not strenuous hikers but would enjoy a bit of walking for scenery. Hope to stay there 3 nts and drive about for a few days. Then head south on Icefields Parkway to Banff or Lake Louise, have heard it's beautiful. Any hotel recommendations or itineraries would be gratefully received. We fly out from Edmonton again so even though we'd like to visit Calgary, I don't think we'd have time and should probably travel back the same route again. Please advise. We're coming from Ireland and probably don't appreciate the vastness of Canada!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,175 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking advice on Itinerary for Edmonton-Jasper-Banff

Regarding hotels in Jasper, what would make a hotel "suitable" for you? ... price range? location (in town or out of town)? What type of accommodation would you prefer (hotel, motel, cabin etc.)?

Jasper hotels are all listed at www.jasper.travel , or if B&B or private home accommodation (B&B without the breakfast) is more to your taste, or in your price range, these are listed at www.stayinjasper.com . Most, probably all, of the hotels are reviewed here on TripAdvisor, and some of the B&B and PHAs too.

The route from Banff to Edmonton is quite a bit quicker if you go via Calgary (a bit under five hours' of driving, according to google maps). If you retrace your route, back up the Icefields Parkway to Jasper and then to Edmonton, it's almost 8 hours. (653 km vs. 415 km) The route between Banff and Jasper is incredibly scenic. However, after the first 1/2 hour, the route between Jasper and Edmonton is quite dull, as is much of the route between Calgary and Edmonton. Check out www.maps.google.com to calculate routes and estimated driving time. Also, the "street view" can be very useful too.

If you have not yet booked your flights, you may want to consider flying in/out of Calgary. It's a much more appealing city to me, and you could tour from Calgary up to Jasper, and return, and enjoy wonderful Rocky Mountain scenery all along the way.

I swear the sidewalks roll up in downtown Edmonton in the evening! There are very few downtown residents, so after the office workers leave, the downtown area is left to the panhandlers. (A small exaggeration, perhaps, but the last few times I have stayed downtown, I have found them to be fairly numerous and although not individually aggressive, it does get rather daunting to be approached numerous times, especially when the streets are otherwise fairly deserted.) Rather than the downtown area, you might want to consider the Whyte Avenue/Old Strathcona area, which is a trendy area with lots of shops, restaurants and nightlife, and a few hotels. There is also a cluster of hotels in the city's west end, close to West Edmonton Mall, and also close to the edge of the city on the way to Jasper.

In regards to Banff or Lake Louise, this Traveller's Article may help you narrow down which location is best for you:

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g154910-c14815/Banff-N…

I hope that gives you some information to get you started, and if you can give a bit more information about what you are looking for in accommodation, that will help us give you better recommendations.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
55 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking advice on Itinerary for Edmonton-Jasper-Banff

We're trying to narrow things down to get a more definite shape to our trip and this advice certainly helps. Thank you

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking advice on Itinerary for Edmonton-Jasper-Banff

How much time will you have? Another route suggestion, other than the dull Highway 2 between Edmonton and Calgary is highway 21, it's close to Drumheller, and there is a gorgeous buffalo jump along that road as well, but it all depends on how much time you will have. Plus the scenery along that road is much different than the rockies.

I would also suggest to avoid staying in the downtown area, there are many other parts of the city to stay in, west end, southside, whyte.

As for Jasper accomodation, what types of accomodations do you like? Myself, I enjoy the cabins, there are a few of them, however they are on the outskirts of town, but in a more secluded area, which we like.

Are you hoping to stay in the town itself? or do you mind being out of town? Will there be 2 or more in your travelling party?

Edited: 20 May 2011, 16:04
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
55 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeking advice on Itinerary for Edmonton-Jasper-Banff

What's a buffalo jump? As for Jasper, I think we would rather stay in the town - there will be 3 in our party and we'd rather be sociable than secluded. Thanks for all the advice about staying in a more lively part of Edmonton - we certainly plan to do that now. We have to fly into and depart from Edmonton and have 10 days in total, although days 1 and 10 will probably be airport days. I know it's not much time, sorry we didn't book longer.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,175 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeking advice on Itinerary for Edmonton-Jasper-Banff

The First Nations people of the plains were ingenious in using teamwork and the natural topography to herd bison and run them off a cliff, as a means of hunting. Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump, a UNESCO World Heritage site, is probably the best known one (but unfortunately, not on your route) - http://www.head-smashed-in.com/

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,959 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeking advice on Itinerary for Edmonton-Jasper-Banff

SuzanneEdmonton may have been thinking of Dry Island Buffalo Jump Provincial Park, which is along the route that she describes. It's definitely worth a look if you're in the area, the terrain is quite striking.You have a mixture of badlands terrain with evergreen forest in a fairly steep river valley.

Photos: http://raysweb.net/dryisland/

Map: http://tinyurl.com/3s9j74x

Calgary
Level Contributor
794 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeking advice on Itinerary for Edmonton-Jasper-Banff

You might consider driving into Calgary from Banff/Lake Louise on the last day just to catch a connecting flight up to Edmonton.

8. Re: Seeking advice on Itinerary for Edmonton-Jasper-Banff

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2012, 05:17