We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June weather

Sydney
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
June weather

Can someone please tell me what kind of weather to expect in the Jasper/Banff NPs when the weather forecast is saying things like there is a 60% chance of rain...... I know we'll have a ball regRdless of weather conditions, but I really hope that we might get just one day of blue sky on mountains and a really blue lake .... Just one? Our weather forecasters here in Australia are always getting things wrong, so I'm hoping that it's the same in the Rockies. Is it likely that we will still get sunny times if the rain probability is so high? I realize that mountain weather can be extremely changeable .... am I being unrealistic in hoping for some sunny vistas? it's a long way for us to go and we won't be getting back in a hurry?

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,012 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June weather

Mountain weather is notoriously changeable. Today here in Jasper, it has been grey and gloomy, threatening rain, for much of the day, but there were a couple of hours mid-day when the clouds scattered and the sun was out. A common weather pattern is a clear morning, gathering clouds during the day, a shower in the afternoon or evening, and then clearing through the evening or overnight. Rain tends to be scattered showers rather than all-day rain (although that can happen too).

Expect anything from temperatures around freezing to hot, sunny weather up to 30C, and you will basically have the main possibilities covered. ;-)

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,922 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June weather

Hey, pineapple, it looks warmer in Banff than here at the moment.

"....a really blue lake".

Some of the high lakes like Peyto and Louise may still have some ice cover. Any observations, travelbug?

Sydney
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: June weather

Thanks krp329. You give me some hope! Yep Frommy ....it's freaking freezing here too ... But it's supposesd to b summer in Canada ... Verrrrrry different to our summer, but we're looking forward to it as part of the fun ...woo hoo, leaving this Thursday!!!!!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,012 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June weather

I have friends in your part of the world, pineapple, and so I keep an eye on the weather there.... our summer weather here in the Rockies is often colder than your winter weather. (Probably not what you are wanting to hear... ;-) Looking up today's forecast, both Jasper and Sydney are supposed to reach a high of 17C; you are currently at 15, we are 13.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,922 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June weather

However, krp, we have very cold southerlies blowing out of the Antarctic at the moment. There is an automatic weather station about 5 kms from where I live here in Camden, SW Sydney, and while the temp for 3:30pm is reading 15.3c, the apparent temp is reading 10.2c.

Edited: 12 June 2011, 07:05
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,012 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: June weather

We call that the "wind chill factor", frommy. We Canadians are very well acquainted with it. ;-)

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,922 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: June weather

I call it wind chill factor as well, krp, but the BOM call it "Apparent". You will get no argument from me that you lot are very used to it. :)

Kootenays, British...
Level Contributor
405 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: June weather

The saying in the mountains is: 'If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes'.

As krp says our weather is changeable - especially in June. And this has been one of the coolest, wettest springs on record. I think you'll get some sun, but a bit of everything else too!

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: June weather

Generally, we use the weather forecast as a "loose guideline". I pay no attention to the weekly forecast or the 10 day forecast - but usually pay attention to the forecast 2 days out. So, don't obsess about the weather - we get plenty of sunny weather to go around. Keep your plans flexible and get out there and enjoy no matter what. My most memorable mountain days are the "less than perfect" days - frequently it all just adds to the drama that is the Canadian Rockies. The scenery is always incredible, even if the weather is not.

10. Re: June weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 03:16