We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

small luxury lodges in canadian rockies??

sydney
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
small luxury lodges in canadian rockies??

hi any recommendations for small luxury lodges/B&B in Canadian Rockies?

thanks

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,691 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: small luxury lodges in canadian rockies??

In Jasper National Park, I would suggest Alpine Village. The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge also comes to mind, except that it is not "small". Or ,"The Grove" units at Patricia Lake Bungalows look very nice online, and seem to be very popular with TA users who have reviewed them or mentioned them in the forums.

B&Bs in Jasper have gone a different route than most other places. There have been Jasperites offering visitor accommodation in their homes since at least the 1930's, but breakfast was not permitted until fairly recently (mid-1990's), so most "private home accommodations" (as they are defined and licensed) offer accommodation only and no breakfast. (There are lots of restaurants around, and some of these homes offer self-catering facilities.) PHAs are generally popular as an economical alternative to the expensive hotels (summer rates for mid-level places start at about $200 per night, plus taxes, and "budget" hotels in Jasper in the summer are just a bit below $200), so most of them offer basic or mid-level accommodation, rather than a luxury experience. However, there are some at the higher end of the price range that offer fairly luxurious accommodation, amenities and services. Have a look at the Jasper Home Accommodation Association website - www.stayinjasper.com - and use the "search by price range" function to pull them up. (Here is a direct link to the search page: http://www.stayinjasper.com/search.asp ) I just tried that with the $100 and up price range selector, and 42 homes showed up in the search results, however many of those are larger two-bedroom units, suitable for families or groups, not necessarily the more luxurious places. So you might want to also pick a few of the other search criteria to narrow the results further.

From the results I pulled up, perhaps places like the Bear's Den or the White Brick Inn may be to your liking, although neither of these offers breakfast. Perhaps the Raven House B&B? However, all of these likely have limited availability remaining for this summer already so if you are planning for this year, I would suggest enquiring and booking ASAP.

Edited: 20 June 2011, 19:19
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,691 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: small luxury lodges in canadian rockies??

Note that I have only discussed Jasper National Park accommodations in my post above; I hope that one of the Banff regulars will come and give you similar information for their area. Some of the ones I am aware of down there are Moraine Lake Lodge and Emerald Lake Lodge (in Yoho NP), both of which are well situated for hiking (which I've noticed you've expressed as an interest, in your other post). The Fairmont hotels in both Banff and Lake Louise are luxurious, however as in Jasper, these are not "small" lodges.

The ultimate in luxury hiking lodges is Lake O'Hara Lodge, which is a backcountry lodge that is completely off the grid, in a beautiful, remote, limited access area in Yoho National Park. However, when I called in January to try and get in for this summer, they were already fully booked. They suggested to me that if I wanted to come in the summer of 2012, I should put in my request before September 2011. I am mentioning this to you because you haven't specified when you are coming to the Rockies, so if you are coming next year, it may be a possibility for you.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
27,161 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: small luxury lodges in canadian rockies??

I haven't stayed at any of these places, but this is where I would start my search if I was in your position.

For Banff & Yoho National Park, look into

Emerald Lake Lodge, Moraine Lake Lodge, Cathedral Mountain Lodge,

Storm Mountain Lodge, Deer Lodge (room quality varies widely), Baker Creek Chalets

Lodges in Banff NP's backcountry - accessible only by foot or horseback:

Shadow Lake Lodge, Skoki Lodge

In the general area outside of Banff, you might investigate: Folk Tree Lodge (Bragg Creek, Alberta), Mt Engadine Lodge (perhaps not luxurious? - in Kananaskis Country, accessible only by a gravel highway), Paintbox Lodge (Canmore), A Bear and Bison Canadian Country Inn (Canmore).

Edited: 20 June 2011, 19:57
sydney
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: small luxury lodges in canadian rockies??

Thank you so much for your fantastic response I will look into all recommendations . Am sure will have more questions nearer to time of travel!! Kind regards

sydney
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: small luxury lodges in canadian rockies??

Thank you very much appreciate response and will start researching!! Kind regards

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
3,237 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: small luxury lodges in canadian rockies??

In Banff National Park, Storm Mountain Lodge, Baker Creek Lodge, Deer Lodge, Moraine Lake Lodge and Num-Ti-Jah Lodge are my favorites. You can find them all on the Banff Lake Louise Website under "Lake Louise Accommodation".

www.banfflakelouise.com

7. Re: small luxury lodges in canadian rockies??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 July 2011, 08:05
8. Re: small luxury lodges in canadian rockies??

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2011, 13:34
9. Re: small luxury lodges in canadian rockies??

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 11:16