We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Gem Trek Maps

dallas
Level Contributor
147 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Best Gem Trek Maps

I will be spending a week in Banff and Jasper National Parks and plan on doing the easier, more popular trails vs. any back country hiking. I'd appreciate any recommendations for the best Gem Trek maps to help me plan my visit. Thanks!

salsa savant
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Gem Trek Maps

I have the following Gem Trek maps and would not be without them, but it all depends on what you want to do (so take this with a grain of salt)

Banff & Mount Assiniboine (includes day hikes near Banff townsite, west of banff townsite, sunshine meadows (also has some helpful tips). You may want to check at the visitor centres along with the info on the map to discuss exposure and trail conditions/warning before heading off)

Lake Louise & Yoho

Columbia Icefield

Jasper & Maligne Lake

Mine have a plastic type coating. I love reading the information.

I also see that i have a parkscanada map on day hiking in Jasper NP.

good luck

I'd say buy them

More than likely you'll want to come back

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Gem Trek Maps

It depends where the focus of your hikes will be - you may be able to get away with the more affordable "Banff Up Close" and "Best of Lake Louise" and "Best of Jasper". They make great souvenirs and are only about $6.95 each. These are great little maps for all of the short regional walks in each of these regions and offer nice hiking suggestions on the back side of the map.

dallas
Level Contributor
147 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Gem Trek Maps

Thanks!!!!!!!

Calgary
Level Contributor
794 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Gem Trek Maps

I've got all the Gem Trek maps. From a cartographic point of view they are beautiful maps.

I'd recommend getting the Best of the Icefields Parkway map. This one will help you to plan all your stops on the drive from Lake Louise to Jasper.

I would agree that the "Best of/Close Up" maps of Banff and Jasper are very good for tourists as all the key points of interest are highlighted and described on the back. The Banff & Jasper map is also good for the tourist but it's much bigger than he "best of" maps.

The Lake Louise & Yoho map is my favourite due to the nice 3D topographic shading.

Edited: 23 June 2011, 06:29
5. Re: Best Gem Trek Maps

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 23:17