I have just started planning a potential trip (at the last minute). thinking of flying into Calgary on July 4 or 5, and departing on July 11. I will be traveling solo. My interests are really exploring the Rockies. I like to drive and enjoy walks/hikes. My interests are wildlife and scenery basically. I'd like to spend a day in Calgary, but that is not critical. Here are my questions:
1. When people say it is crowded this time of year, what do you mean exactly? Do you mean that when doing a walk, your constantly around others? when driving, there's a lot of traffic?
3. I definitely would want to do one of the Icewalks at the Columbia Icefield.
4. I know with this short notice, I may be paying high prices for hotel rooms (and need to make sure they are even available). do I just search "Banff" or "Jasper" and find hotels that way?
5. Is it unsafe to be hiking alone? Or are there enough other people around that that is not a problem?
6. And finally---am I better off planning in advance and doing this trip next year? If so, is mid-June too early to go in terms of weather/activities?