We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving holiday canadian rockies

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Topic
driving holiday canadian rockies

Hi,

I am trying to plane a driving holiday from Vancouver to the Canadian Rockies and return next May 2012. I am trying to find a map of this area so as i can work out a route to travel.

If any one could give me a link to sites with maps that i can print i would be very thankful.

qbay46

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
78,775 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving holiday canadian rockies

Hi qbay46;

You can use...

maps.google.ca

mapquest.ca

Best Regards

Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
356 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving holiday canadian rockies

Hi qbay46

Had the same difficulty myself. We are from Sydney (as you can see) and I have been tracing and re-tracing a route from Vancouver into the Rockies and back for the past few months.

Heaps of help from TA and I'm almost certain I have found a suitable route which basically goes:

Vancouver/Whistler/Kamloops/Jasper/Banff/Lake Louise/Revelstoke/Kelowna/Chilliwack

We are then returning to Seattle from whence we came.

If this is the sort of route (or part of it) that may suit, send me an IM and I'll fill you in on details.

I have also posted for help (as you can see) part of the route Kelowna/Seattle which may be of interest.

There's heaps of posts you can search as you will realise. I'm sure you'll find some help.

So far as finding a map is concerned - forget it - definitely been there, done that. It's very frustrating, but I have managed to use Google maps for it all and when it comes down to it there aren't that many roads in the Rockies.

Good luck

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
19,343 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving holiday canadian rockies

Aussie invasion on again. :)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154922-c120076/Briti…

au.britishcolumbia.travel/en-CA/default.htm

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
63,985 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving holiday canadian rockies

Hi qbay ~

Have a look on the British Columbia Forum at this article:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154922-c120076/Briti…

Vaycee - I'm not following you around, honest. Just popped on to the Canada Forums!

Edit: hahaha g154922. Good afternoon, Frommy!

Edited: 07 October 2011, 06:03
Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
356 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving holiday canadian rockies

LOL indeed

More reading material for me :D

Thanks to you both ;-) Track me all you like Mufti the more info I have the better as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sure OP will also appreciate the link

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
63,985 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving holiday canadian rockies

Hi again qbay ~

I just had another thought. There is a map publishing company here whose maps are really quite good. I use them for everything in my neck of the woods. I wonder if they take orders online and mail out worldwide. No idea, because I pick them up locally, but if you wished to enquire, here's the info.

MapArt is the name of the company. The "catalogue" tab would be a good one to browse through.

http://www.mapart.com/

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
19,343 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving holiday canadian rockies

"Edit: hahaha g154922. Good afternoon, Frommy!"

You are getting to be too slow, Mufti. (big grin, with a wave)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: driving holiday canadian rockies

Hi Vaycee,

I will also be doing the same trip and just wanted to know who you are renting your car with and how long you plan on taking your trip for? Will you be staing overnight in some of the places and have you already decided on your accomodation yet?

Apologies for the 20 questions but i plan on doing this trip on a budget.....probably impossible i know!

Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
356 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: driving holiday canadian rockies

Hi lil-grasshopper

You would do better to post a new thread with something about car hire in the subject to get some help if you want better responses.

However, I can tell you I will be hiring in the States and driving up to Canada, so that may not benefit you.

For what it is worth Seattle to Seattle will be 17 days.

Sorry qbay46, hope you don't think your thread has been hijacked

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,583 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: driving holiday canadian rockies

I agree with Muftimixandmatch, MapArt makes very good road maps. (Although you can also get free maps from Travel Alberta and HelloBC which are quite good.) If you love paper maps, you can order them online from two Calgary companies, Map Town ( www.maptown.com ) and Map World ( www.mapworld.ca ). Hikers swear by the Gem Trek series of hiking maps for the Canadian Rockies, but they also apparently produce very good general tourist maps for Banff and Jasper. Map Town & Map World sell Gem Trek too.

And finally, don't overlook the excellent free online maps of Banff and Jasper from Parks Canada; they are on webpages as well as available as large downloadable .pdf files:

Banff & Lake Louise: pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/visit/visit4/b.aspx

Jasper: pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/jasper/visit/visit3.aspx (scroll to bottom)

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada