We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking Suggestions

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
20 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking Suggestions

My wife and I are looking for good hiking suggestions. We are avid hikers and we will be in the area in mid- to late-June. Below are some hikes we have found while doing some research and wanted to get some opinions on them and whether or not they are doable at the time of year we will be there or if there are better ones to do. Thanks!

Valley of the Ten Peaks (AKA Eiffel Lake), which splits off from the Larch Valley Trail (6-7 miles round trip), with option to also do Bow Glacier Falls (5-6 miles round trip). Also the very short (0.4mile hike to Moraine Lake Viewpoint, which is spectacular in evening light)

Icefields Parkway, Helen Lake/Dolomite Pass trail (7.5 miles round trip to Helen Lake; Pass is 1.8 miles further)

Hike: Plain of Six Glaciers Teahouse & Viewpoint (7.5 miles round trip); take pictures of Lake Louise. Path starts at Chateau Lake Louise.

Hike: Peyto Lake/Bow Summit Lookout; drive Icefields Parkway to (Columbia) Icefields Center and short walk up to toe of Athabasca Glacier. Hike Parker Ridge (4 miles roundtrip; 3 hours)

Jasper : Hike Cavell Meadows, but likely closed due to mud (early) and park trying to preserve it?. Mt. Edith Cavell road and Maligne Canyon, which is short 2 hour hike and is OK for hikers early in the season

Jasper : Hike Sulphur Skyline Trail 4-6 hours. In the high country, but in this area trails are clear by late May. Challenging uphill, start early to avoid afternoon thunderstorms. Or try Bald Hills hike.

Short walk to Takkakkaw Falls. Iceline Trail to Emerald Glacier (12 or 13 miles, 9 hours, difficult hike).

Kootenay Natl Park, hike Stanley Glacier Trail (not too long).

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,231 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking Suggestions

Plain of Six Glacier is a nice gentle hike, make the big loop back by lake agnes & little beehives,

Parker Ridge, if its open

Mt Edith Cavell, same as above

Wilcox pass

Lake O'Hara

Skip short walk from icefield center to glacier foot, not worth the walk and its cold and windy.

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,231 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking Suggestions

left off Bow lake, hut and falls.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,434 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking Suggestions

I last did the Eiffel Lake/Larch Valley and Plain of Six Glaciers/Lake Agnes hikes in mid-June (around the 17th or so) a couple of years ago, and they were fine. There was some snow at higher elevation (quite a lot in Larch valley - knee deep, in fact) but with hiking boots, that's not a problem. That was a year, also, when we'd had a LOT of snow the previous winter, and a very cold spring; so it's quite possible this year's spring melt may be farther along when you are here. But if you expect, and are prepared for, snowy, wet, and muddy conditions (typical early season conditions), you'll have all possibilities covered. (By the way, the day we did the Plain of 6 was barely above freezing, and windy and snowing... I was very thankful to have mitts and a winter hat in my pack!)

I wouldn't rate the Plain of Six as an easy hike - it's about 5 km, one-way from the trailhead to the teahouse, with 1200 feet of elevation gain.

The Cavell Meadows trail is not likely to be open when you are here; it's often the last few days of June, or even into July, before it's open.... but you never know. They keep it closed until it has a chance to dry out a bit - otherwise people wind up hiking off the trail and damaging the fragile subalpine vegetation. Even when it first opens, there are usually still sections of trail under snow. It's a high-use area, and the growing season is so short at those higher elevations that the vegetation doesn't get a chance to grow back, and the trail gets braided and erodes. It was quite a mess before thousands of volunteer hours went into rehabilitation and trail re-building.

Parker Ridge has also been closed in the early season, some years, but is usually open a week or two before Cavell, so that's probably a "go" for you.

The Sulphur Skyline will definitely be in better conditions than the Bald Hills, in terms of less snow cover.

Sorry, I can't comment on Helen Lake - that one is still on my "wish list". It is up rather high and not too far from the continental divide (more snow), but it is a south-facing valley.

I second the suggestion for Wilcox Pass - it's one of my favourite hikes in Jasper NP. It's probably too early to go right through the pass and come out at Tangle Falls, because the descent from the pass is down a north-facing headwall. The other problem for visitors hiking through is that you end up 10 km from where you started, and have to hitch-hike back to the Wilcox Creek trailhead. But it's definitely very worthwhile to hike up into the pass, and even as far north as the headwall, and then turn back to the south trailhead. The pass itself is alpine tundra and has gorgeous views of surrounding peaks.

4. Re: Hiking Suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 07:16