We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hope to Jasper

north west England
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Topic
Hope to Jasper

How long would it take to drive from Hope to Jasper.

And what would be of interest along the way.

Where would the best place be to stop for lunch ?

I hope to setting off early morning.

Kootenays, British...
Level Contributor
405 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hope to Jasper

How long do you want it to take? It is possible to do it in one long day's drive - but the second part of your question implies you want to see some sights along the way. You have to decide which it is.

As for lunch the small towns all have cafes and probably a few chains such as 'Subway'. There's a Subway in the gas station at Little Fort I recall. No real gourmet places occur to me.

Incidentally, the drive is through BC so that is likely why you aren't getting much response on an Alberta/Rockies Forum.

Edited: 31 May 2012, 19:51
north west England
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hope to Jasper

Thanks for the reply.

I know it's going to be a long drive,( I think I made a slight mistake in not putting another stop in before Jasper ) I was just wandering, as I will have to stop a few times on the way, if we could take in some views or stop at somewhere nice on the way.

As for asking about the time to get to Jasper, I just wanted to know if it's possible to get there by someone who has driven there.( see if it corresponds with the time I have in my head, probably not !!)

Coming from England, I can't get my head around the scale of Canada.

I've been driving around little old England far to long !

And thanks for advice on the forum.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,388 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hope to Jasper

It will be about 650 km if you take Hwy 5 from Hope up to Kamloops (The Coquihalla) and then on to Jasper, about 7-8 hours drive, stops extra.

There will not be much of interest on the Coquihalla which is a no frills higheway. There will be Wells Grey Park and Helmcken Falls near Clearwater and of course Mt. Robson Park further north.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,241 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hope to Jasper

Wells Grey is a fairly long way off the highway, and I'm not sure you really have left yourself any time to do more than drive. I supposed it depends on how long of a day you are comfortable with. Google is saying 8 hrs of driving - that's just driving. Every stop - to fill with petrol, to eat, to use a toilet, is on top of that. So, you are driving from London to Edinburgh in one leg. How much sightseeing would you do on a drive like that? To be fair, the traffic between Hope and Jasper will be much better, but the distance is further.

The best views, IMO, are as you approach Jasper, from Valemount and through Mt. Robson, so try to avoid doing this bit in the dark if you can.

5. Re: Hope to Jasper

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 15:41