We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gypsy guide app for iPad?

Spring Valley, Ohio
Level Contributor
84 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Gypsy guide app for iPad?

Has anyone used the gypsy guide for iPad app? It certainly is cheaper than renting the gps guide. I have downloaded the free app YYC to banff and I see that there are now two additional apps - one for Banff, Lake Louise, Yoho and another for the Icefields Parkway to Jasper. These apps are only $4.99 a piece. Are they essentially the same as the gps guide?

Spring Valley, Ohio
Level Contributor
84 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gypsy guide app for iPad?

I did a little more research on this. Communicated via email with Gypsy and the information on the app is the same as on the gps unit only in smaller individual geographic locations. Jasper National Park is not yet available but I bought Banff and the Icefields Parkway. I will let you know how it works out.

Wabash
Level Contributor
242 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gypsy guide app for iPad?

When are you going? We're leaving on the Sept 5th and would also buy the Banff and Icefields Parkway if worthwhile.

Have a great trip!

Spring Valley, Ohio
Level Contributor
84 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gypsy guide app for iPad?

We are leaving August 28. I will try to post a few days after we arrive to let you know how it works out. Certainly is a lot cheaper than the gps!

Spring Valley, Ohio
Level Contributor
84 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gypsy guide app for iPad?

We are now in the Canadian Rockies and using the gypsy app on the IPad. The free app for YYC to Banff made getting out of the airport and through Calgary very easy. We have also used the Banff, LL, Yoho app and really enjoyed the commentary. Definitely worth purchasing the gypsy apps. We ran iPad off the car charger to save battery life and also used another cable to run through car sound system.

Wabash
Level Contributor
242 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gypsy guide app for iPad?

Thanks for your post. I'm going to ask a stupid question. In order for it to work, do you have to have a data plan for your iPad?

Hope you're having great weather and a wonderful time!

Spring Valley, Ohio
Level Contributor
84 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gypsy guide app for iPad?

I don't think you need a data plan. I have one but I thee "roaming" turned off. My understanding is that the gypsy app is downloaded to your iPad and then you are only using the location device in the iPad. Gypsy states that if you download prior to use there will be no roaming charges.

Yes we are having a wonderful time. Just arrived in Jasper today after an incredible drive along the Icefields Parkway.

Liege, Belgium
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Gypsy guide app for iPad?

Hi.

I've already pin out the most interesting sites I want to visit in my trip on an iPhone iPad offline map App (Citymaps 2Go), and we're leaving in 6 days.

However, I was wandering what kinds of comments does the App give ?

Is it worth the buy, is it interesting ?

Thanks for your time.

Seems your trop is great so far, hope it'll continue like this.

++

Fabrice

Liege, Belgium
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Gypsy guide app for iPad?

I just visited the website of Gypsy and it really seems to be a nice app.

You could hear a few samples of the audio guide.

There are also direction advices to reach some POI.

I'm definitely considering buying it for our trip.

++

Fabrice

Wabash
Level Contributor
242 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gypsy guide app for iPad?

I e-mailed GyPSy and learned that you do not need a data plan, but that you do need a GPS chip. Unfortunately, we went for the basic iPad with Wifi only and it does not contain the GPS chip. . . so we might just have to rent the GyPSy for our trip up the Icefields Parkway. Would you consider that cost worthwhile? I have a very detailed map of the Icefield Parkway put out by Gem Trek, so thinking maybe that's all we'll need. Hindsight is 20/20-- we should have spent the extra $100 for the iPad.

Save travels to you. Thanks for the info.

Swansea, MA
Level Contributor
337 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gypsy guide app for iPad?

We have an original iPad with only wiFi as well but it has the GPS chip. Are you sure yours doesn't?