We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended Literature

Ottawa
Level Contributor
147 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Recommended Literature

Well, our adventure to Banff and Jasper begins in 28 days. Wife still doesn't know where we are going so kudos to me :)

I noticed in another thread that "Parkways of the Canadian Rockies" (Brian Patton) was a must have for this trip. While I'm on the Amazon site, what would you say is other must have literature for the trip, other than access to TA, of course.

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,629 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended Literature

You'll find a variety of reading suggestions in this TripAdvisor Traveller Article, "Books and Other Resources":

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154910-c13638/Banff-…

Ottawa
Level Contributor
147 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended Literature

Awesome...thanks CW

Wabash
Level Contributor
246 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended Literature

There is a ton of information available on TA. I printed off Banff local walks and a lot of itineraries and posts that I felt were informative on our interests.

I bought a few ytavel guides, but the one I got the most from was by Lonely Planet: Banff, Jasper & Glacier National Parks. Andrew Hempstead's Canadian Rockies is also a good handbook on the Canadian Rockies. I don't have Brian Patton's book, so maybe that's all you'll need.

I ordered three maps from Gem Trek Publishing as recommended by another poster a while back. The first, Canadian Rockies, shows 29 points of interest in Banff, Jasper and Yoho;. The other two were Best of the Icefields Parkway; and Banff National Park. The one for Banff National Park as a map and guide in one. Although I had downloaded a map of the Icefields Parkway, this one is much easier to read, identifies the viewpoints and points of interest, whether the viewpoint has a sighn, and what services are available. They were shipped the same day that I ordered. We leave for our trip next week, and since I had just read the old post about the maps, I wound up paying a premium for quick delivery. They arrived on the third business day after ordering. I believe the Jasper and Banff map was $11.95, but the other two were only $5.95 each.

I probably overdid it, but I enjoy the researching and planning and did so for oveer 8 months. I'm sure we'll be picking up a lot of info at the various visitor centres, too. We leave next week and I can't wait. Hope you have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park
Banff National Park
Canadian Rockies, Canada
Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended Literature

I had made the positive comments about Brian Patton's Guide Book. I though it was excellent because it gave a mile by mile (or km in this case) detailed description of every possible point of interest. He provides maps and pictures on almost every page to go along with the writing.

I like that he also details every hike off the highway. It's definitely more than a "car only" research tool. One could probably spend months, if not years completing everything mentioned in the book.

The roads included are:

Trans-Canada Highway

Town of Banff

Lake Minnewanka Road

Bow Valley Parkway

Banff-Windermere Highway

Lake Louise

Moraine Lake Road

Highway 93A

Yellowhead Highway

Town of Jasper

Maligne Lake Road

Icefields Parkway

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Lake Louise
Lake Louise
5. Re: Recommended Literature

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 03:18