We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying a week in one place; should we stay longer?

wisconsin
Level Contributor
604 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Staying a week in one place; should we stay longer?

We're scheduled to stay in Canmore in a VRBO condo for one week in July. I'm worried we're restricting ourselves to one place; for instance, going to Jasper and other surrounding areas that are too far to drive both ways in one day. We're flying into Calgary, staying two nights so we can see the city before heading out to Canmore. The real question is, should we plan to tack on another couple of days so we can stay in another area like Jasper or near the lake before flying back home? We haven't purchased airline tickets yet because we aren't sure how long to stay. I also saw from the forum that mosquitoes are quite prevalent in the Rockies, which will negativley affect us as our teen daughter really reacts to their bites. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,730 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying a week in one place; should we stay longer?

Mosquito season here tends to start sometime in early July .... there are usually not too many around on Canada Day, our national holiday on July 1, and then by mid-month, they are out in full force. We had a really bad year for mosquitoes last year, since we'd had record amounts of snowfall through the winter, a cool spring (i.e. slow melt & standing water) and then larger-than-usual amounts of rain in June. Whether or not this coming summer will be a bad year for them again remains to be seen, but it does depend on where you plan to spend your time, since some areas are better or worse than others. All I can suggest is to bring or buy insect repellent and maybe some "after bite" type of product, wear long sleeves and long pants, and avoid being outside at dusk.

As to your question about staying longer.... I'm not sure where you mean by "near the lake" - possibly Lake Louise - ? If so, you can visit there easily as a day trip from Canmore . And while you could drive some of the Icefields Parkway and back to Canmore as a day trip (see my post here: tripadvisor.ca/…46097486 ) if you don't mind a long day of sightseeing in the car, if you want to see the popular sights in Jasper National Park (Maligne canyon and lake, Mt. Edith Cavell etc.), you'll need to stay over in Jasper. I guess it really depends on how much holiday time you have, and your budget. Jasper National Park is almost twice the size of Banff National Park but gets half the number of visitors in a year so it is quieter than our sister park to the south, and the town is not as big or as busy.

You won't find VRBO condos in Jasper but you can find private home accommodations - rooms or a suite within a resident's home - at www.stayinjasper.com , or hotels listed at www.jasper.travel .

wisconsin
Level Contributor
604 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying a week in one place; should we stay longer?

Wow, thanks for the information. I think we will find a place to stay in Jasper then. We have the time and who knows whether or not we'll get back there again to see Jasper Nat'l Park. Thanks again.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,528 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying a week in one place; should we stay longer?

totally agree. While I understand Canmore as a choice its not the 'ideal' but understanding logistics. Do go to LL for one full day and do Moraine Lk as a drive then LL to enjoy. Do drive the Icefield Pkwy and enjoy the Ice Explorer on Athabasca Glacier. If you don't do the ride there is a good free musuem there. Food along the way is ltd and overpriced so pack a lunch or buy it in Banff.

Jasper has a lot to see but you need to drive a bit to get to places. The drive up and back will be worth it.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
604 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying a week in one place; should we stay longer?

Thanks for clarifying! I'm adding two more days onto our trip so we can stay in Jasper and do what has been suggested. Thank you again!

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,288 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying a week in one place; should we stay longer?

You could also consider dropping the two days in Calgary, which is a large modern city such as many others all over Nth America. The WOW factor is in the Rockies.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
604 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying a week in one place; should we stay longer?

That is what we are thinking about doing. Been to many big cities, but there are only so many Rockies. We'll drive from the airport in Calgary to Canmore where we'll stay for a week, then head to Jasper for a minimum of a two-night stay. I'm just worried about the accommodations in Jasper. The places to stay don't get very good reviews, especially for the expense. Thanks for your reply.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,528 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying a week in one place; should we stay longer?

more people write negative reviews than positive ones. I go there 10-12 times a summer. The lMarmot for ex has some really basic rooms but has a totally new upgraded section, so the reviews will vary depending on which room type you get. Sunwapta is very nice perhaps the nicest. JPL is pretty rustic but on a really nice property on a lake. Compared to Banff and Canmore most hotel in Japsper will be more 60"s motel style.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
604 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying a week in one place; should we stay longer?

How far is the Sunwapta from the Jasper National Park? One of the complaints I see is that the Sunwapta is so far from the town of Jasper, but that doesn't really bother me if we're already stocked for food.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,730 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying a week in one place; should we stay longer?

Sunwapta Falls Lodge is *in* Jasper National Park, 55 km from the town of Jasper (about 34 miles. Note that the town is also in the park.) I'm not sure, but I don't think they have any units with a kitchen ... without one, as long as you have a fridge in your room, and bring some basic meal prep supplies (cutlery, dishes, a cutting board etc.), you can easily cater breakfasts and lunches for yourselves. However, the only option for dining there is the one restaurant on hand. The next nearest place to eat is at the Columbia Icefields, 45 km away ... expensive and not particularly recommended.

Sunwapta Falls Lodge is not really well situated for sightseeing in Jasper National Park, other than the southern end of the park - the Icefields Parkway and the Columbia Icefields, Sunwapta Falls etc. (which you will have two chances to see, assuming you are driving to and from Canmore on the Icefields Parkway). If you want to visit the Maligne valley, or the eastern part of the park (Miette Hot Springs), it will add about 40 to 45 minutes to your driving time (Maligne Lake and the hot springs are each almost an hour's drive from town). Sunwapta Falls Lodge is a good choice if you want a really quiet and out-of-the way place to stay, since traffic on the parkway is really light at night (and no trucks are allowed on the parkway anyway) and you are far enough from town that there will be no train noise. If you wanted to be somewhere with very dark skies for star-gazing, it might also suit you (although you'd have to get away from the lights of the resort and be willing to stay up pretty late until it gets completely dark).

wisconsin
Level Contributor
604 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying a week in one place; should we stay longer?

Wow, thanks much for clarifying this. Makes a big difference in our decision! Thank you again.