We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yoho NP - Lake O'Hara Questions on the Shuttle Bus Service

7 posts
Save Topic
Yoho NP - Lake O'Hara Questions on the Shuttle Bus Service

Hello all! I am thinking to squeeze a day in my road trip to visit Lake O'Hara in ealy July. From the Parks Canada website, I'm aware that a reservation is needed to make 3 months ahead for the shuttle bus that goes into Lake O'Hara. However, I don't see any information on the bus pick-up and drop-off locations. I'm wondering where I can park my car if I'm not planning to lodge in Field...Is there a parking lot nearby the shuttle bus station? If so, what is the address? Do I need park pass to go into Lake O'Hara? Sorry that I have so many questions here...any advice would be welcome. Thank you all in advance!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Yoho NP - Lake O'Hara Questions on the Shuttle Bus Service

You can leave your car at the parking lot, where the bus departs, which is about halfway between Lake Louise and Field.

You need a park pass for Yoho National Park, not specifically for Lake O'Hara.

7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Yoho NP - Lake O'Hara Questions on the Shuttle Bus Service

Thank you very much for the information. May I know where the bus departs? I'm not familiar with the area there at all, so an address that I can put in the GPS would be helpful. Many thanks.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Yoho NP - Lake O'Hara Questions on the Shuttle Bus Service

No address, I'm afraid. Follow hwy. 1 from Lake Louise for 12 kms and just after the border Alberta/B.C. you'll see the sign for Lake O'Hara.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,809 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yoho NP - Lake O'Hara Questions on the Shuttle Bus Service

There is no station, just a parking lot. Have a look on google maps, here - http://goo.gl/maps/bhsbm , Sorry, I do not know how to put a mark on the spot, but you can see the turn-off from the highway between Sink Lake and Wapta Lake, and then follow the roads up to Lake O'Hara.

If you are not familiar with google maps - you can zoom in and out, switch between satellite and map views, and use streetview by dragging the little orange human figure (at the top left) onto the highway (which will highlight in blue in a few seconds), and "drop" the figure anywhere along the highlighted route to see the location as if you were right there. Look up, look down, "drive" ahead or behind; you can even read the road signs. I think it's a pretty nifty tool and use it a lot for travel planning and learning about places.

7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Yoho NP - Lake O'Hara Questions on the Shuttle Bus Service

Thank you both for the information. :) Hopefully I'm able to secure the shuttle bus seats for that date.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
528 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yoho NP - Lake O'Hara Questions on the Shuttle Bus Service

Our family has secured a reservation on the bus shuttle for Lake O'Hara. I too am wondering where the "bus staging area" (per the parks canada website) is?...reading the past posts my understanding is it is located at the Lake O'Hara parking lot, which is where?...Is it right at the turn off between Sink Lake and Wapta Lake and visible from the Trans Canada Hwy?..or do you have to drive up a ways on the access road to Lake O'Hara? I'm just a bit confused where to find it? The information provided by Parks Canada is not helpful at all...any information anyone can provide us would be grateful and appreciated. Also..we are doing this hike next week and wondering what kind of temperatures to expect...thanks!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,697 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yoho NP - Lake O'Hara Questions on the Shuttle Bus Service

Pretty sure that it's btween Watpa Lake and Sink Lake here:

http://goo.gl/maps/TrgUu

The green arrow on the satellite map shows where I think the parking lot probably is located.

http://goo.gl/maps/AOhzh

http://goo.gl/maps/ipXSE

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yoho NP - Lake O'Hara Questions on the Shuttle Bus Service

The last link in CW's post shows the parking lot at the green arrow.

As you enter the lot you'll see a gated road on your left (going south and uphill); that's the "staging area" where you grab the bus.

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yoho NP - Lake O'Hara Questions on the Shuttle Bus Service

do not worry about finding the parking lot. There a re huge signs on the highway that will direct you to the lot.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
528 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yoho NP - Lake O'Hara Questions on the Shuttle Bus Service

Thank you everyone...really appreciate the help!