We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV Park Reservations - do I need to stay up until midnight??

Brisbane
Level Contributor
206 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
RV Park Reservations - do I need to stay up until midnight??

Hi there,

I see that reservations open up for the RV parks in Jasper and Banff on the 3rd and 4th of April at 8am your time, which equates to midnight my time (Brisbane, Australia). We will be looking to book in on the 1st of July for 3 nights into Whistlers campground and maybe Tunnel Mountain in Banff on the 5th for 2 nights. Do I need to be online at midnight to secure a spot? I'm just asking because when I booked Yosemite sites a couple of years ago, that was the advice I was given. I did it and secured a spot, but not sure how the Rockies compares with Yosemite in terms of how fierce the competition is to get a site.

Cheers!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,703 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RV Park Reservations - do I need to stay up until midnight??

July 1 is Canada Day, so it would definitely be a good idea to make a reservation. I honestly don't know, though, whether you need to try to make it at midnight or not. The competition for sites, from what I've heard from folks familiar with Yosemite, is not nearly as bad at Banff.

Hopefully other TA members can be more helpful!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RV Park Reservations - do I need to stay up until midnight??

booking yosemite is crazy and in that case, you do need to be on asap. i don't think banff is close to that crazy. july 1 is a holliday up here but it is a monday so anyone who is not staying the week, will likely be pulling out that day (the really busy nights will be the three prior). if i had my sights set on certain sites, i'd get up at midnight to book but, i don't really think it's necessary....just do it as soon as you get up.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: RV Park Reservations - do I need to stay up until midnight??

In Banff and Whistler you'll find a spot with no problem. Both Whistlers and Tunnel Mountain keep sites open for first-come, first-served on the day, so even without reservations you'll very likely to find a spot.

All I say is, don't lose any sleep over it. :-)

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,703 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RV Park Reservations - do I need to stay up until midnight??

Both Lttt and Wallie make good sense. Since Canada Day is Monday, the campsites won't be full to overflowing the way that they would be on the holiday Friday, Saturday, & Sunday (if the weather is at all decent). In that case, you won't need to worry about getting stuck in an unserviced and unlovely overflow campground if you don't get a reservation. However, if you really want or need full services (water, electricity, maybe sewer) then a reservation is still recommended for pretty much any day in July & August.

Edited: 18 March 2013, 15:33
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,270 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RV Park Reservations - do I need to stay up until midnight??

Well, I would be reluctant to rock up without a reservation, but you should be fine if you get your reservation done within a few days of opening.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
206 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RV Park Reservations - do I need to stay up until midnight??

Thanks everyone! I think I'll enjoy a bit more beauty sleep and book when I get up!

Cheers.

7. Re: RV Park Reservations - do I need to stay up until midnight??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2014, 06:17