We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recreating a Dream Trip from my Childhood

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
222 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Recreating a Dream Trip from my Childhood

When I was very young my grandmother took me on a trip from Seattle through the Canadian Rockies and it is one of my best memories.

She has since passed and I have no good records of the trip and where we went.

The things I do know are we started in Seattle, stopped somewhere on a glacier, went to Lake Louise and flew out of Seattle. I also remember that it was not freezing cold out so it must have been summer, spring or fall.

This fall, I would like to plan a similar trip with my wife. This is my first (of many I'm sure) reach out’s to my fellow trip advisor’s to help plan it.

Only because of my schedule, I would particularly like to go in the fall, around October (unless anyone has anything to say about that).

I want to drive through breathtaking views of mountains, rivers, wildlife (hit or miss I'm sure) and just great nature in general.

I have in my mind planning on staying at a different place every night (or maybe 2 nights each stop). And we don’t care about seeing any big cities or touristy stuff… just natures beauty.

So, with that being said, can anyone please help lend me some advice on how to plan a trip similar to the one my Grandmother took me on?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recreating a Dream Trip from my Childhood

I would recommend June or September. It's not as busy as July-August and the weather will be better than in October. The weather in October could be OK but you're taking a risk.

If you're flying into Seattle then the BC forumers could probably help better than I could. If you're flying into Calgary then I would do a couple days in and around Banff then following the #1 Highway to the Okanagan (turn South at Sicamous).

There are lots of options; hope this gives you a start.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,825 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recreating a Dream Trip from my Childhood

Hi GCaldwell ~

I wonder how many nights you are allowing for your vacation? I can tell you that driving from Seattle to Banff is just under 1000 km and 11 hours driving. stops extra. So there would be 2 days travel to and from a starting point of Banff for your Rockies trip. Then general consensus recommends a week in the Rockies, split between Banff/Lake Louise and Jasper. If you're not looking at 10-14 days time, and have a week at your disposal, then fly into Calgary and take your time in and around the Rockies and the Icefields Parkway.

In September, you would have fewer crowds and the possibility of more stable weather. I think the mornings and evenings would be cool but the day would be quite pleasantly warm. June will have daylight between 5h20 am and 9h45 pm. In September sunrise/sunset would be closer to 7h15 am/7h45 pm.

I would suggest you start with a look at all the articles to the right side of this page in the Top Questions. And don't hesitate to open questions already on this forum to see what is being asked and answered. As well, in the TQs, you will find Trip Reports that I think you would find very helpful to read.

Edited: 19 April 2013, 22:17
3. Re: Recreating a Dream Trip from my Childhood

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2014, 05:16