We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice please on driving route from vernon to Jasper

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
138 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Advice please on driving route from vernon to Jasper

Hello everyone

Please could someone help us make up our mind which route to take?

We are in Vernon at the moment and are heading to Jasper tomorrow. We seem to have the choice of either the BC 5N which has approx drive time of 6hrs 40 mins or the Trans Canada hwy then the Icefield Parkway at roughly 8hrs.

We will be in Jasper for a couple of nights before heading off to lake Louise then Banff so will see Icefield Parkway in that direction then.

I am thinking the shorter BC 5N for our trip tomorrow but would love to do the Icefield parkway both ways and think the longer journey is more scenic? Or am I incorrect?

Please could someone with much better knowledge help?

Many thanks! I await the responses! :-)

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,416 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice please on driving route from vernon to Jasper

The Icefields Parkway route is incredibly scenic and well worth seeing more than once. Also, the highway #1 route to Revelstoke and then on to Lake Louise has spectacular scenery. The 5N route is nice, and has quite a variety of scenery, but I have driven the longer route sometimes just for the scenery through Rogers Pass and Kicking Horse Pass on the TCH#1. You really can't go wrong either way, and if you do drive the TCH#1/93N route to get to Jasper, you might consider spending part of one of your days here driving to Mt. Robson, BC - it's one hour west of Jasper townsite, and a very beautiful drive. It makes a nice outing, with Overlander and Rearguard Falls to visit, as well as Mt. Robson, which is the highest peak in the Canadian Rockies.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
138 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice please on driving route from vernon to Jasper

Many many thanks for your advice - much appreciated! Looks like we are in for a great trip!

Thanks again

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,490 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice please on driving route from vernon to Jasper

I totally agree with krp's recommendations. I would take the route through Revelstoke and Golden for the superior scenery, and I would also recommend taking some time to drive west from Banff as far as Mt. Robson, as that is, IMO, the best part of that highway 5 drive, so you won't miss anything by doing that bit as well.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
138 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice please on driving route from vernon to Jasper

Many thanks to both of you for your advice. It 's going to be a long but beautiful day tomorrow!

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
138 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice please on driving route from vernon to Jasper

Thank you both for your suggestions. Just to let you know - we drove up the Highway 1 and Icefield Parkway yesterday. What a wonderful wonderful trip it was - the sun shone and we were totally awe inspired by everything we saw. We are so excited to be seeing it from the other direction tomorrow!

We have had a great time in Jasper and drove to Maligne lake today. On the way we saw the bald eagle and its nest near medicine lake. That was a truly wonderful sight.

This afternoon we took your recomendation and drove to Mt Robson - another beautiful drive and to finish off a perfect day we saw a family of brown bears playing on the road side!

I just wanted to thank you both and let you know that not only was your advice appreciated - it was followed and it was great advice!!

Off to lake Louise tomorrow then Banff!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,490 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice please on driving route from vernon to Jasper

That's wonderful! A family of brown bears playing on the side of the road!!! Amazing! So glad you are having lovely weather - it makes all the difference through here.

So many people post that they don't think they want to drive the road to Jasper twice, up and back, but we're not wrong about that, are we? Its so amazing that you have to see it twice.

7. Re: Advice please on driving route from vernon to Jasper

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2014, 06:19