We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - June 22nd

New York
Level Contributor
60 posts
191 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - June 22nd

All the information on this forum was extremely helpful in planning our trip, so I wanted to post a report on our trip in case it may help others.

Plan was to go to the rockies from June 22nd to June 27th, as the first half of our trip (followed by a drive to Vancouver and cruise to Alaska). Due to the flooding that occurred we had to redo our plans. Luckily we noticed what was happening the day before we left and I was able to shuffle around 6 hotel reservations and make it work. Original plan was Banff->Lake Louise->Jasper, revised plan was Jasper->Lake Louise (and we cut a couple days off the trip and added time in Vancouver).

Traveling with my wife and 12 and 9 year old daughters. They are not very adventurous so our main goal was to see the scenery and take some very short hikes, saving our active excursions for Alaska.

Sat-June 22nd

Arrived in Calgary and picked up our one way Avis rental. Drove to Jasper via Edmonton. After two flights it was a rough 6 hour drive, but worth it. As you start to enter Jasper National Park you get some amazing scenery that got us excited for the trip.

Arrived at the Mount Robson Inn for two nights. Hotel was adequate, very dated but very clean, and the beds were surprisingly comfortable. The staff were nice, though you always got the impression they were very busy and were rushing you along. Breakfast was included and was very basic, don't expect much, but the self serve make your own waffles were very good.

Sun-Jun 23rd

In the morning we took the boat cruise to Maligne Lake. Staff on the boat and scenery around the lake were great. This is a really beautiful lake, and toward the back end the scenery is amazing. It was a pretty cloudy day but still looked great. For those taking pictures it was tough in the morning as the sun was behind the mountains for the iconic scene everyone is looking for, but regardless kids loved the trip as did we. We also ate there, don't expect more than cafeteria food, but it was serviceable. On the way back (the road is winding but pretty) we saw a bear and stopped for a photo (along with a couple other cars and some cyclists.) The bear actually came out of the woods and walked down the road to get over the river, cyclists had to wait around as they weren't sure what to do. It was a great sighting (only bear we saw on the whole trip).

We then stopped at Maligne Canyon. This is a beautiful hike, believe we walked to bridge 4, which was a pretty long hike for us given the hills. But it was a beautiful hike and lots of interesting things to see. I hadn't really seen pictures of this before and didn't know what to expect, turned out to be a great hike. If you aren't up for a decent amount of walking be careful as this goes down hill for a while, which means you eventually have to get back up.

Walked into town that evening, Jasper is a very pretty town, exactly what I hoped it would be. We wondered some shops and had dinner as the Jasper Pizza Place. With the kids we were looking to keep it simple. Food was quite good though (some dishes were better than others but overall pretty good). We tried poutine for the first time and were sold on it!

Mon-Jun 24th

DId the Icefields Parkway to Lake Louise, which took up most of the day. As others have said it was one of the most scenic drive I have ever been on. It was cloudy all day (not great for photos) but we didn't get much rain at least. Along the way we stopped at Athabasca falls (loved it, very powerful, beautiful falls with great walking paths around, as well as a small rocky beach we walked to), Sunwapta falls (also nice, but preferred Athabasca), Columbia Icefield (we paid for the tour onto the glacier and we felt it was worth it, learned a lot about the glacier and walking on it was a unique experience, as was riding in the special vehicles used for it), Peyto Lake (stunning lake, water was glowing even on the overcast day we had, and the uphill walk through the forest was really pretty, we enjoyed that a lot), and we obviously stopped a lot along the way for photos.

Got to the Fairmont Lake Louise late that day and wondered around the hotel a bit. We were only there one night and it was a bit rainy so it didn't do the lake justice, though it was still pretty. Ate dinner at the pub style restaurant, was not too impressed.

Tue-June 25th

Did the short hike around the lake to the other end of the lake. It was a pleasant walk even though it was raining a bit. Nice scenery and a good start to the day.

Then we went to Moraine Lake, which was absolutely beautiful. Again, skies were totally overcast, but it didn't take away from the beauty of this place. I highly recommend going up the rocky path to the lookout point, one of the prettiest views on the whole trip. We also rented a canoe and paddled around in the light rain. Probably my favorite lake of the trip.

Drove to Yoho National Park next starting with Takakkaw Falls. The windy drive to the falls was incredibly beautiful, very rugged, scenic drive. Along the way we saw a moose right on the side of the road, he was huge! The waterfall itself was very dramatic, tall and powerful. There is a very nice short hike to the base of the falls which I highly recommend (you will get wet from the mist). Once you get there the falls is amazing, as is the scenery looking back. It may have been because of the slight rain and overcast skies, but it was a very rugged scene, really enjoyed it.

Next we drove to Emerald Lake planning to rent a canoe or kayak again but it was closed. The lake itself was very pretty and a great photo op.

After this we drove to Kamloops for the night (stayed at the Sheraton which was great, people were very friendly, room was new and clean, and the kids loved the pool and waterslide,) and the next day we drove on to Vancouver for a couple of nights before our Alaska cruise, which I will post about on the Alaska forum.

Thanks again for all the great info on this forum, really appreciate it.

Peter

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,399 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - June 22nd

I thoroughly enjoyed your report. Enjoyed your enjoyment! Your writing makes me feel I'm seeing what you are describing. Thanks for posting.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,319 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - June 22nd

That's a great trip report! Thanks so much for posting. Too bad you had such overcast weather but it sounds like you made the best of it.

New York
Level Contributor
60 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - June 22nd

Thanks, the weather was really not a big deal at all (just me being picking with my photography hobby), given how weather can fluctuate in the mountains I can't complain.

4. Re: Trip Report - June 22nd

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2014, 05:18