We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long to spend in the Rockies....?!

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
How long to spend in the Rockies....?!

Myself and my boyfriend are flying into Vancouver on 22nd August and spending 2 nights, then a further 2 nights in Whistler. We will need to spend some time in Kelowna in BC after Whistler to visit a relative. The only other thing that we have booked is a flight out of Calgary on the 5th September.

My dilemma is that I'm not too sure how long to stay in Kelowna and how much to try and do in the Rockies. It has been suggested that we go from Kelowna straight to Banff and miss out Jasper but I am worried about missing something amazing! Wondering if anyone can offer an opinion on whether we should try and do both and roughly how long we would need to stay in each place to feel like we were able to see a fair bit and not be too rushed. Also, would we find the two parks quite different, with different activities available?

We are early 30's and have a reasonable but not unlimited budget!

Thanks so much in advance

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,972 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long to spend in the Rockies....?!

I think missing Jasper is missing half of it. You are young, you may return, but I wouldn't voluntarily skip Jasper. A minimum of time would be 2 nights Jasper and 3 nights Banff. I haven't sat down with a calendar to look at what you have available. If you only have two nights, then just spend them in Banff, and spend the intervening day driving towards Jasper, probably turning around somewhere along the Parkway. If you have 3+ nights, then I'd go from Kelowna to Jasper for one night and then two nights in Banff.

Just looking at Google maps and its sending you to Jasper via highway 5 and saying 7 hours. but its only 8 hours to go via Revelstoke and highway 1, which I think is the prettier drive, so I would go that way. It will actually take at least 9 hours, because you change time zones before Golden and lose an hour.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long to spend in the Rockies....?!

In answer to the question posed in your heading....I'd say 7 days in the Rockies would be a nice stay...5 nights minimum. I would definitely not miss out on Jasper. It's really not that far from Banff (only about 3.5 hours) and the drive from Banff to Jasper (or visa versa) along the icefields parkway is one of the nicest drives on the planet. If you're stuck on time I would maybe consider spending only one night in Whistler or scale back your time in Kelowna.

Edited: 18 July 2013, 04:13
3. Re: How long to spend in the Rockies....?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2014, 06:18